Writing Forums Dying? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Writing Forums Dying?

I've found about three very active writing forums, not including this one. So I don't think they're down for the count yet. Sadly, there will come a day where we look back and only have memories of these sites and the people we met but until then, let's write on!

Blog Entries
    I've only just noticed this thread and, not having read all the posts, I would merely like to respectfully suggest, on my assumption that writers seem, I think, to have phases, of full on, frenetic almost, totally inspired "burning the midnight oil" activity, and then.........nothing.
    So maybe, that is how it goes with writing forums.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I would hope that I would be considered an "active" member, given that I've only been here a month (actually, a few days less than that at this time of writing) and have just hit 400 posts. I haven't done that in order to have a decent post count; if you look, I've actually started quite a few threads, many of which have been successful, and of course the new music forum is taking up a lot of my time.

But the reason I, personally, would not take on too much reading/critique is to be fair. I could easily say to each post asking for feedback "sure, yeah, I'll take that" and then find I have too much to do to be able to not only adequately critique each work, but to even read them. That would not be fair to any writer, so rather than just jump on every request, I tend to select the ones I think that a) I would be interested reading and b) I can hope to offer some advice, praise or guidance on. I think it's better to be selective and give good feedback than be all-inclusive and give none, or worse, bad feedback.

Sometimes the reasons aren't the right ones, either. I recently took on a project because, quite frankly, I felt a little sorry for the writer, who had asked for feedback but received none. However, I also took that on because it looked like I might enjoy it. There would be little point in me seeing, say, a romantic fiction novel or a piece of erotica and feeling sorry for the writer's lack of response to his or her requests, because the second, and most important part of the, or my at any rate, incentive to respond has to be that I can add something to a request for critique, I can bring something to the table, or at least hope to, and if not, at least I can get a good read out of it.

I don't know what exactly stops people from responding in your case, OP, but as others have said, I'm sure it's neither personal nor meant to be rude, nor should it be taken as a failure of the forum. There are many reasons why people won't, or can't, give the time, and to be fair, I'm sure you'd much rather have one or two people replying who are serious about reading and giving feedback than ten people who have no real intention of doing so.

That said, I'll have a look at your post and if i feel I can help, I'll sure do so. I won't, however, make any promises. One thing that stops me is a request/demand for the work to be completed in a short time frame. I've a lot on, and I'm taking care of my disabled sister, so my priorities will not be to concentrate all my time on someone else's work, unless I really want to.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234