Writing Forums Dying? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cyclical. This forum isn't dying. I saw it almost die -- this period isn't remotely similar. There's a lot of sf/fantasy because those subgenres are attractive currently, and people think them easy to write (maybe -- hard to master though). I dislike litfic, though I think writing should be held to high literary standards. Professionals and semiprofessionals are a distinct minority and most literary advice is hot garbage. I just come here during times when I'm not writing.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by MrTickle View Post
    Hi guys I've been wondering if the general fiction and poetry sections of this forum are dying out a bit. There has hardly been any posts in the past few months. Granted, I haven't posted much either but a short story I posted 5 months ago is still on the second page of general fiction. What is your guys take on the reasons for this?

Cheers.
    Mr Tickle, I have refrained from commenting so far as I was interested to read the views of other members. I have checked your profile and note that while you have shared a lot of your work for critique, you have not reciprocated in kind. WF is a writing community and as such it is give and take. Activity generates activity.

ETA: Not all the forums are visible to everyone.

So my take on this is that if we want WF to become more active we need to participate.

I really do appreciate all the feedback guys. One of the main reasons that I carry on writing is because of this forum. It has given me the motivation and determination to carry on writing. It the sheer joy of getting a positive comment on a story is still just as amazing as it was the first time.
    That's good
    Hidden Content
    My personal space Hidden Content is always open to visitors so please pop across and say 'Hi!'

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    After all, if you're actually writing, and not loafing or goofing off... ya just don't have a helluva lot of time to post here.

G.D.
    Well, kind of true. But it helps me a lot to talk about ways of writing more effectively. So I come here for that, even when I am feeling productive in my writing.

The members here always find something to say to give me ideas, sometimes when I can't even imagine how a conversation would be possible.
    17 tips for writing better metaphoricals: Hidden Content Hidden Content

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    Well, kind of true. But it helps me a lot to talk about ways of writing more effectively. So I come here for that, even when I am feeling productive in my writing.

The members here always find something to say to give me ideas, sometimes when I can't even imagine how a conversation would be possible.
    I have to admit that even when I'm writing, and typing my fingers off, I keep a window open with the forum on it. But that's along with one for Dictionary.com, and a notepad file with my character notes on it... and occasionally a drafting program with a schematic of some vehicle or the other open for quick reference. ( Gotta know what deck folks are on, after all. )

So any time I want a short break from writing, it's only a matter of shifting windows.

As for the conversation end of it, yeah, that pretty much describes me. Talking to people generates ideas, just as their conversations between each other do.

And I always have learned best by talking and doing, so since I'm here to learn...

If I have any complaint about the place, it's with all those lurkers that others have mentioned. I just wish they'd get over themselves and get in here and SAY SOMETHING.

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; October 21st, 2018 at 06:52 AM.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123