Writing Forums Dying? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing Forums Dying?

I saw somewhere that there are about 21,000 "members" on WF but only around 1,000 "active" members. I don't know what "active" means but perusing the boards it doesn't seem like 1,000 names (but that's totally a hunch). I just wonder what those other 20,000 lurkers are doing. Obviously some have moved on but it seems that many must be completely voyeuristic. Feels a little creepy, considering that most of us are seeking feedback. If most are reading for pleasure or inspiration, I suppose that has to be okay. One just wonders. And isn't it odd that only 5% of members are active.

One thing I find curious, and I could be wrong about this because I don't really go on the fiction boards that often, but when I do, the vast majority seems to be sci-fi/fantasy, which is definitely fiction, but it isn't the only kind of fiction. And since we already have a sci-fi/fantasy workshop, why is the fiction workshop so heavily weighted in that genre? Personally, I find most fantasy lit boring. I'd like to see a wider variety of fiction in the fiction workshop.
    Last edited by TL Murphy; October 17th, 2018 at 07:44 PM.

I've seen forums die before. This one is far from that point. I can't say much for any recent decline as I myself have been far less active the last two months or so. I expect that to change in about two weeks (for real life related reasons), so I'll certainly do my part then for the poetry sections!
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

It's a fair question, and I imagine everyone would have a different answer.
    Mine is that real life is very difficult right now and is likely to be for some while as I work long hours to pull my finances into some kind of order (eventually). Working hard and chasing new work is very tiring, but I hate being in debt so hopefully it will be worth it in the medium term.
    Any writing I do manage is a reflection of my fatigue levels, i.e. not very good.

Also, the writing I'm doing off-forum is with someone who is currently writing a novel as part of her M.A. degree. I seem to learn more easily going through printed copy with her in a café as the personal touch gets through to me more readily than digital media. It's a love story and I'm part of it. No, she's not my lover, but I am an integral part of the story - and it's pretty unusual. I hope it will be available in a couple of years.

I do sometimes go to events and groups to read out my work, along with others. This can be quite daunting but it's also character building as reading my creations in public is one way of overcoming the fear.

Not much time for putting work on here of late, but I will - in time.

The problem I see with a writing forum is it's very nature.

After all, if you're actually writing, and not loafing or goofing off... ya just don't have a helluva lot of time to post here.

And if you're just stuck or something, then ask for help and get it... you're gone again, until the next problem crops up.

Then there's the new writers that show up, spend some time here learning, and either figure out writing really isn't for them and wander off, or they end up joining the two previous categories.

So, I'd have to say the sporadic or spastic nature of places like this just comes with the territory. *shrug*

G.D.
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

I think WF tends to fall into a lull every now and then for various reasons. Real life takes some people away, priorities change, or maybe people just lose the urge to write for a while. Who knows.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post

After all, if you're actually writing, and not loafing or goofing off... ya just don't have a helluva lot of time to post here.

And if you're just stuck or something, then ask for help and get it... you're gone again, until the next problem crops up.

Then there's the new writers that show up, spend some time here learning, and either figure out writing really isn't for them and wander off, or they end up joining the two previous categories.

So, I'd have to say the sporadic or spastic nature of places like this just comes with the territory. *shrug*

G.D.

Very good point G.D. Thank you. Real writers are busy writing. Why didn't I think about that? (rhetorical question. You con't have to answer it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post

G.D.
    I'd like to say I'm in the category of someone who is "actually writing, and not loafing or goofing off…"

I'm struggling through the process of building a story, which seems to involve (at least at this point) more thinking than actual writing. Writing a novel or novella is on my Bucket List, and it's something I have to do alone, in order to prove to myself I can do it. So I spend more time outside walking the dogs and enjoying an unusually warm Fall here in the Pacific Northwest (U.S.).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CountryDogs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	22846

When I'm on the computer, I'm usually working my day job (graphic designer / illustrator) in order to bring in money to keep my doggies in biscuits, the Missus happy, and to maintain my extravagant lifestyle.

I check the forums just about every day, but if nothing jumps out and slaps me, I get on with other things.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content

I really do appreciate all the feedback guys. One of the main reasons that I carry on writing is because of this forum. It has given me the motivation and determination to carry on writing. It the sheer joy of getting a positive comment on a story is still just as amazing as it was the first time.

Yes, I am more than aware that I have not posted many stories of late or that I have not posted on anything of late, but that is because my real life is very busy at the moment and I am writing stuff but just not posting. Another reason why I am slow to post is because I always have been to be honest. I only try and post stories that I think I have put a lot of effort into and think of as my better quality ones. I don’t like to just churn out story after story for the sake of clogging the forums lol.

Also, I am sorry Darren for coming across negative, but that was not my intention. Also, do you have any idea when Flashes of Brilliance is coming back online?

Once again, I hope quite overwhelmed with the responses to this post and it just proves why I love this forum. Love you all haha!

Most of the poetry forums I've stayed with for any length of time (WF, LinkedIn, Hubpages, YUKU, others), have had 6 - 20 regular posters--both poems and critique. Some of those poetry forums list thousands of members, 98% never heard from. I suppose, on the one hand, we should be pleased for the tacit interest in our Art, on the other it seems am arbitrary 'bad' to have the vast majority of members completely dormant. A curious note: often we see "213 views" on a new post in a group that has 1800 members--but with the usual coterie of only 12 poets posting. So well over a hundred people OTHER than the 'regulars' "viewed" the new poem, but choose to maintain silence. Eternal voyeurs. I don't think that's healthy. I'd rather see 50 members, with 12 active, than have bloated numbers that are meaningless. Why not simply boot 'members' after 'x' months of complete inactivity?.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

I was just thinking about this earlier today, coincidentally, when I noticed that 80 people were viewing the introductions section alone, yet there were very few new posts anywhere.

Now I hope, as a new member, that I'm not out of line saying this but I think the first couple of responses given to this OPs question might be an example of the problem. As a new member I can see that negative responses to harmless and respectful questions, could be intimidating to people who may be browsing and thinking of posting. I realise that some of you know each other very well and/or are very experienced and comfortable on here, so you may not think anything of it, but not everyone has the confidence or thickness of skin to be able to get shot down when they raise their head above the parapet.

Obviously I don't think everyone should agree all the time, that would be tedious beyond belief, I just think sometimes it's a bit unnecessary.

Just saying, please don't shoot...Maybe if I use lots of happy faces I'll be OK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast