Can a computer write a poem? - Page 3

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a computer write a poem?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post

That was enjoyable, and also extremely cliché, especially because of the word love that is of course repeated ad nauseam

Only, it wasn't his computer, but auto-complete searches on the word 'love' on Google.
    He writes a lot of really simple, quite funny and clever poems based on every day things like google searches, autocorrect, a CV. Here's one about a caveman.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Poetry in the Age of Engines

poetry is a destructive force
    poetry is about
    poetry is a criticism of life
    poetry is art

does poetry have to rhyme
    does poetry have rules
    does poetry matter
    does poetry sell

can poetry be fiction
    can poetry be prose
    can poetry be translated
    can poetry save the earth

This poem was entirely
    constructed from auto-completed searches about poetry on the Google search engine.

I recently checked out a lot of computer poem generators. They do spit out some good lines, but they have no heart and you have told really stretch your connect the dots muscle too make sense of them. I actually know a poet who you would swear writes like a poem generator, only it's his natural style.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

There is a poetry site I am a member of, that has an actual poem generator, for love poems LOL. You have to give in a few details about the person you wish the poem for and then it concocts some crazy poem that you would never like to show anyone, really, honestly. But it is fun to try once nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    Poetry in the Age of Engines
    does poetry have to rhyme
    does poetry have rules
    does poetry matter
    does poetry sell

This poem was entirely
    constructed from auto-completed searches about poetry on the Google search engine.
    There's a whole lot of truth to that middle stanza haha. It asks the important questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I recently checked out a lot of computer poem generators... but they have no heart
    I recently checked out a site selling talking sex dolls. They have some great curves.
    I think this stuff is okay to some people. It's good enough to them. Like cgi, I find it oddly revolting. It's as if I actually have something inside me that says "Abomination". It's odd to me because I only use that word to describe religious organizations and/or some of their doctrines. Actually, I don't use that word, ever, but that's what comes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I think this stuff is okay to some people. It's good enough to them. Like cgi, I find it oddly revolting. It's as if I actually have something inside me that says "Abomination". It's odd to me because I only use that word to describe religious organizations and/or some of their doctrines. Actually, I don't use that word, ever, but that's what comes to me.
    It's probably the uncanny valley, that spot of not quite human, but enough to unsettle us.

I feel terribly sorry if/when we create conscious AI: we'd consider our own creation an abomination. Mary Shelley was so far ahead of her times it's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    It's probably the uncanny valley, that spot of not quite human, but enough to unsettle us.

I feel terribly sorry if/when we create conscious AI: we'd consider our own creation an abomination. Mary Shelley was so far ahead of her times it's unreal.
    It's interesting to contemplate man's compulsion to make things just because it's possible. Mary Shelley really warned us about the dangers of unchecked technological development. Do we really need nuclear weapons? Do we really need self-aware machines. I fear that someday we will have it and only then will a machine be able to write real poetry. In fact self aware AI isn't artificial any longer. It's real. Until then, computer generated poetry is artificial. Once we cross that threshold, what's the point of being a poet?

My thoughts as well Tim. Thanks.
    There was never a great genius without a trace of madness. Attributed to Aristotle.

Imitation by virtue of its nature is never original. It’s echoic.
    There was never a great genius without a trace of madness. Attributed to Aristotle.