Can a computer write a poem? - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a computer write a poem?

It imitates people, doesn't mean it will display originality.AI can't understand English much less emotion. Those are my opinions on it. Though maybe it could teach kids something at school. It won't replace poets however.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Computer poem:

It just flows so naturally, and the metering is perfect too.

Can it reinvent the wheel? Robots still haven't invented anything. It would make for an interesting fantasy story though.

It still hasn't won a poetry competition which would be publicity for them.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Sorry. I accidentally did a triple post without knowing. I think the value it could add is an educational tool for English class to help people become aware of educational values and make poems on any subject perhaps. I don't know what other uses it could have. Since I know there are values being taught in school, it's a decent way for people to have fun but doesn't take skill to do.

Personally, I can’t see the point of robot poetry since computers don’t have feelings. A computer can fake a poem, i.e. list words that have syntax and approximately describe a recognizable image. I don’t call that a poem though, even if it fools an expert, because there is no poetic intent, no desire on the part of the computer to express emotion or to reveal beauty or to question. It’s purely mechanical. There is no real creativity. The creativity is in the algorithm but I don’t think that can be called art either since it is designed to mimic, not to create something that has inherent meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    If bullshit is poetry, Is poetry bullshit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Computer poem:

It just flows so naturally, and the metering is perfect too.
    Hahaha, yes, well, to many poetry is bullshit, no matter who writes it, whether it is a computer, or a human being. I think Ralph just proved your above point
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

I am a clay potato in a strawberry field
    -Darren White, from "Clumsy"

Blog Entries
    Check out Love In The Age Of Google by Brian Bilston, or more precisely, by his computer.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I've heard scientists refer to the human body as a "wonderful machine." I've always disagreed with that, flesh and blood is no machine - and while we're not trying to debate A.I. or transhumanism or such here, I can't see any purpose in getting a machine to write poetry. So I agree with Murphy.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"If it weren't for sin, what would we write about?"

Midnightpoet

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Check out Love In The Age Of Google by Brian Bilston, or more precisely, by his computer.
    That was enjoyable, and also extremely cliché, especially because of the word love that is of course repeated ad nauseam

Only, it wasn't his computer, but auto-complete searches on the word 'love' on Google.

I am a clay potato in a strawberry field
    -Darren White, from "Clumsy"

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    I've heard scientists refer to the human body as a "wonderful machine."
    It's generally meant to confer the idea that the biological molecules themselves aren't anything special i.e. there isn't some magic animating a human.

Humans have had a few hundred thousands of years to forge language into poetry. Computers have had decades and they're already fooling expert humans.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    I can't see any purpose in getting a machine to write poetry.
    Our world will become increasingly controlled by AI. It already makes decisions on loans and health insurance. I wouldn't be too surprised if some military hasn't already given it the decision to kill a target.

If we do not humanise our AI, then humans will have to become more mechanised.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast