Can a computer write a poem? - Page 15

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415

Thread: Can a computer write a poem?

If poetry is bullshit,everything is bullshit. Do you want to live in a world of crap ?

If you use a line in your own poem from one that's computer generated, is that a copyright violation?

Just wondering. I was playing around with a lyrics generator and some of what it created could be used as kind of a rough draft to be used for a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    If you use a line in your own poem from one that's computer generated, is that a copyright violation?

Just wondering. I was playing around with a lyrics generator and some of what it created could be used as kind of a rough draft to be used for a song.
    Why would you want to? Poets should write their own poems. But there is nothing wrong with using it as a prompt. But keep this in mind, a thousand AI poem generators working night and day would eventually write every poem that can be written. So, if you happen to write the same thing as one line, it isn't plagiarism. Not only that, computers aren't people. Laws apply to people and sometimes animals. Computers don't have rights or property. That's a good thing to remember if you ever find yourself in court facing a law suit filed by a machine.

GLaDOS wrote some pretty decent poetry

I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin