A Patchwork of Darkness

A Patchwork of Darkness

A Patchwork of Darkness [NOTE: This style is called Cento.]

No misery ever so beautiful than the one this mind creates. [Vivid Darkness]

Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air; Hungry clouds swag on the deep. [William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell]

The smokeless altars of the mountain snows; flamed above crimson clouds, and at the birth. [Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Triumph of Life]

Deep in the shady sadness of a vale; far sunken from the healthy breath of morn. [John Keats, Hyperion]

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, [Allen Ginsburg, Howl]

The world will say 'tis very idle, bethink you of the time of night; [William Wordsworth, The Idiot Boy]

Have mercy on our woe and our distress; Some drop of pity, through thy gentleness, [Geoffrey Chaucer, The Knight’s Tale]

What a cruel irony it is, that we get to choose our thoughts but not our feelings. [Justin Wetch, Bending The Universe]

And all we feared inside the night / shows true in morning's biased light. [Garth VonBuchholz]

Revision 1

APatchwork of Darkness

Nomisery ever so beautiful than the one this mindcreates, as

Rintrah roars and shakes his fires in the burdend air,
    hungryclouds swag on the deep.

The smokeless altars of the mountain snows;
    flamed above crimson clouds, and at the birth,

so deep in the shady sadness of a vale;
    far sunken from the healthy breath of morn.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed
    by madness, starving hysterical naked.

The world will say 'tis very idle,
    be think you of the time of night!

Have mercy on our woe and our distress;
    Some drop of pity, through thy gentleness?

What a cruel irony it is,
    that we get to choose our thoughts but not our feelings,

and all we feared inside the night’
    shows true in morning's biased light.

[VividDarkness; WilliamBlake, TheMarriage of Heaven and Hell, PercyBysshe Shelley, The Triumph of Life, JohnKeats, Hyperion, AllenGinsburg, Howl, WilliamWordsworth, The Idiot Boy, GeoffreyChaucer, The Knight’s Tale, JustinWetch, BendingThe Universe, GarthVonBuchholz]
    Last edited by Pelwrath; October 16th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

I must confess that I was unaware of this poetry form until you enlightened me with this example. It's a fascinating idea to take memorable lines from the work of other poets and make them into a viable poem that works in its own right. It's not an easy task so kudos for coming up with this amazing patchwork poem.

I've done a bit of research on the form so that I can give a credible critique so here goes...

To help your work look less cluttered, consider a trick that I have noted other poets use with this form: write out the poem with the lines in different colour and give a key to the original writers below the new patchwork. Like this;

No misery ever so beautiful than the one this mind creates.

Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air; Hungry clouds swag on the deep.

The smokeless altars of the mountain snows; flamed above crimson clouds, and at the birth.

Deep in the shady sadness of a vale; far sunken from the healthy breath of morn.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,

The world will say 'tis very idle, bethink you of the time of night;

Have mercy on our woe and our distress; Some drop of pity, through thy gentleness,

What a cruel irony it is, that we get to choose our thoughts but not our feelings.

And all we feared inside the night / shows true in morning's biased light.

[Vivid Darkness][William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell] [Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Triumph of Life] [John Keats, Hyperion] [Allen Ginsburg, Howl] [William Wordsworth, The Idiot Boy] [Geoffrey Chaucer, The Knight’s Tale] [Justin Wetch, Bending The Universe] [Garth VonBuchholz]

xxxxx

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Poetry Hill where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

My Poems

Awesome idea Jen thanks!

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

​Virgil

Very interesting. So tell me do you personally like this style? It is very new to me!

Yes I do. It's very hard to find the lines in previously written poems and then put them together. I did two of these during NaPoWr Mo in April. One was a traditional and the other was using lines from the lyrics of my favorite group, Blue Oyster Cult.

I do have to work on the changes jen mentioned and came up with.

​Virgil

Okay, I posted a revision with some connecting elements and acte on Jen's awesome suggestion.

​Virgil

Thanks for removing the references from the lines
    Those belong at the bottom of the Cento.