ISBN Shell Shock . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISBN Shell Shock . . .

ISBN Shell Shock . . .

Or so I thought at the time. (Stupid spell check . . . didn't see it turned Shell into She'll until it was too late . . . sigh . . .)

Turned out I wasn't on the official Bowker site. I had actually landed at Publisher Services, an official US ISBN Agency Channel Partner. They offer the standard one number for $129 which they call their Publisher package; a Self Publisher option for $55 and an eBook option for $29. Which means you'd pay $1290 for ten numbers there if you want to be the publisher on report. The other two options list "Independent Publisher" as publisher on report. Which means they are the official publisher on report but they don't actually say that. So, probably anyone looking at it would think the author held that honor. Can't decide how to feel about that. It would be a way for me to give an ISBN to eBooks more cheaply, and save the other numbers for print books.

Before I realized I was on the wrong site, I thought Bowker was bilking us even more than before!! I went around depressed for most of the day. But, then, I came across some old emails that tipped me off I'd been on the wrong site. Dashed over to the right site and my little heart was lifted! I can still get a block of ten for $295.

Here's the official Bowker price page: https://www.myidentifiers.com/get-your-isbn-now

If you want to check out Publisher Services for yourself, here's that link https://www.isbn-us.com/home1/

Last edited by PiP; October 26th, 2018 at 09:13 PM.
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet – Anonymous
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Americans, do you know where your money from this goes? Is it a for-profit organization? It feels like a government-sponsored monopoly, to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    Americans, do you know where your money from this goes? Is it a for-profit organization? It feels like a government-sponsored monopoly, to me...
    You might find this interesting :
    http://www.theindependentpublishingm...w-authors.html

I think it answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita M Shaw View Post
    Or so I thought at the time. (Stupid spell check . . . didn't see it turned Shell into She'll until it was too late . . . sigh . . .)

Turned out I wasn't on the official Bowker site. I had actually landed at Publisher Services, an official US ISBN Agency Channel Partner. They offer the standard one number for $129 which they call their Publisher package; a Self Publisher option for $55 and an eBook option for $29. Which means you'd pay $1290 for ten numbers there if you want to be the publisher on report. The other two options list "Independent Publisher" as publisher on report. Which means they are the official publisher on report but they don't actually say that. So, probably anyone looking at it would think the author held that honor. Can't decide how to feel about that. It would be a way for me to give an ISBN to eBooks more cheaply, and save the other numbers for print books.

Before I realized I was on the wrong site, I thought Bowker was bilking us even more than before!! I went around depressed for most of the day. But, then, I came across some old emails that tipped me off I'd been on the wrong site. Dashed over to the right site and my little heart was lifted! I can still get a block of ten for $295.

Here's the official Bowker price page: https://www.myidentifiers.com/get-your-isbn-now

If you want to check out Publisher Services for yourself, here's that link https://www.isbn-us.com/home1/

The link for Publisher Services didn't work for me. I got a Forbidden message.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I just use the free ISBN from Amazon.
    Does it give actual ISBNs, now, or just ASINs or whatever? (That is, are you registered with the ISBN people? Can you use the number anywhere but at Amazon?)

I think ISBNs are definitely one more reason a lot of Americans stay exclusive with Amazon, but it's a bit complicated if you want to distribute elsewhere.

I have gone exclusively with Amazon because the other venues did not bring in as much revenue, nor account for it as well as Amazon does. Also, I made good $$$ on Kindle-KOLL last month.

The ISBNs you get from CreateSpace for free are ISBNs, but they are non-transferable. You can buy your own and use it on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    Does it give actual ISBNs, now, or just ASINs or whatever? (That is, are you registered with the ISBN people? Can you use the number anywhere but at Amazon?)

I think ISBNs are definitely one more reason a lot of Americans stay exclusive with Amazon, but it's a bit complicated if you want to distribute elsewhere.
    The last time I checked, the only free number Amazon gives out is the ASIN.

Not having an ISBN means your book isn't listed in certain databases, if I recall correctly. I looked up all of this years ago, when I published my book. I pulled it afterwards because I wasn't satisfied with it, but that's off topic.

Buying an ISBN from anywhere besides Bowker means that entity will be listed as publisher. Once Bowker assigns a number to an entity, that's it. No transfers.

It used to be, seven years ago, that you only had to buy a block of 100 to pay only $1 a number. A block of a thousand was cheaper. Then it jumped to the even higher prices. When questioned in an interview, a Bowker rep cited self publishing authors as the reason for the increase. No specific info was given, though.

Blocks of 10 are not sequential, by the way. Just FYI.

Amazon will issue ISBNs for their print books (no need for an ISBN for an ebook) if the writer so chooses, or they will accept a ISBN the author provides.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Amazon will issue ISBNs for their print books (no need for an ISBN for an ebook) if the writer so chooses, or they will accept a ISBN the author provides.
    Is the Amazon issued ISBN free? If not, how much does it cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast