ISBN She'll Shock . . . - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Is the Amazon issued ISBN free? If not, how much does it cost?

Free.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

I did a little research on Amazon's free ISBN.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...odeId=13685721

To apply for your ISBN:
    Contact the following:
    International Standard Book Numbering Agency

R. R. Bowker

630 Central Avenue

New Providence, NJ 07974

Telephone: (877) 310-7333

Fax: (90 665-2895

http://www.isbn.org The process usually takes up to 10 business days. If you're contacting R.R. Bowker from outside the United States, be sure to ask for information related to the ISBN registry for your country.
    I just copied this today from Amazon. This has the author buying directly from Bowker, which is not free.

Since others are saying it is free, I continued searching. I found this :

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834170

Paperbacks

An ISBN is assigned to every published book. An ISBN identifies a book's edition, publisher, and physical properties like trim size, page count, binding type. Every 10-digit ISBN has a 13-digit EAN with a different last digit (the check digit). The EAN will be listed on your cover's barcode.

Note: The ISBN in your paperback's files must match the book details entered during title setup.

Frequently asked questions

Can KDP provide me with an ISBN?

Can I provide my own ISBN?

Should I provide my own ISBN or use the free one from KDP?

Can I change my ISBN?
    Seems free. So I clicked on question #1.

KDP can provide you with a free ISBN to publish your paperback. We'll also automatically register your ISBN information with BooksInPrint.com®. This a global database of print books maintained by Bowker (the U.S. ISBN agency) and consulted by publishers, libraries, and booksellers. The "Publisher" field on your paperback's Amazon detail page will read "Independently published." This free ISBN can only be used on KDP for distribution to Amazon and its distribution partners. It cannot be used with another publisher or self-publishing service.
    And question #4 :
    In keeping with industry standards, your ISBN cannot be changed once assigned. Your ISBN is associated with your book's trim size, title, and author name. That means the ISBN cannot be changed after publication.
    So if you use the free ISBN there's some strings attached.

From my research into ISBNs six or seven years ago, all ISBNs sold now are the 13 digit ones. So why Amazon is referring to 10 digit ISBNs, I don't know.

Also, I was confused about the 13 digit EAN embedded in the 10 digit ISBN, so I checked Bowker.

https://www.isbn.org/faqs_general_questions

I couldn't find anything about an EAN, but found this :

Does the ISBN have any meaning embedded in the numbers?
    The four parts of an ISBN are as follows:

Group or country identifier which identifies a national or geographic grouping of publishers;

Publisher identifier which identifies a particular publisher within a group;

Title identifier which identifies a particular title or edition of a title;

Check digit is the single digit at the end of the ISBN which validates the ISBN.

So while the publisher is listed in the database as "independently published", Amazon owns the block and the publisher code is most likely Amazon. That explains why you can use the number only with Amazon and its affiliates.

But if you later want to expand and use your own ISBN, Amazon won't let you change it. So it's like you've signed an exclusive contract with Amazon, which is not quite being independently published, in my opinion.

But I still haven't found anything about an EAN.

Further down was this about 13 digit ISBN :

Does the ISBN-13 have any meaning imbedded in the numbers?
    The five parts of an ISBN are as follows:

1. The current ISBN-13 will be prefixed by "978"

2. Group or country identifier which identifies a national or geographic grouping of publishers;

3. Publisher identifier which identifies a particular publisher within a group;

4. Title identifier which identifies a particular title or edition of a title;

5. Check digit is the single digit at the end of the ISBN which validates the ISBN.
    Still nothing about an EAN.

(There are many other questions and answers on the Bowker page. I found much of it interesting.)

So I searched "bowker ean" and found this :

"Barcode -Bowker www.bowker.com/products/Barcode.html
    The Bookland EAN bar code (US and Australia) encodes the ISBN. The US version encodes the book retail price as ...

Bowker Bar Code Service -Frequently Asked Questions https://commerce.bowker.com/.../faqs.asp
    Any EAN which begins with the 978 prefix is called a Bookland .."

Now these wouldn't open on my old phone, but doing the same Google search should get the same results. Maybe someone else can do that and post the info there.

It seems, from what's on the Google page, that the EAN has to do with the bar code.

I hope all of this info helps those who are at the thinking about ISBNs stage!

I can see the expense of getting ISBNs so you can move your book elsewhere, and not be tied down to a particular platform...but right now there is really only one platform that sells well; Amazon.
    The other platforms bring in revenue, but in order for them to work you need to market to those sites as well, and that takes away from your overall marketing efforts.
    My thinking is that my efforts are simply better spent focusing on a single sales platform (namely the one that works.) Those other sales venues sell like crap by comparison.

Hence, I use the free ISBNs.

Yes, I buy my ISBN numbers in the USA from myidentifiers.com (these are the official ISBN numbers sold by Bowkers). I always buy them in packs of 10 (currently $295), so it works out to less than $30 per ISBN. I prefer to buy my own ISBN numbers rather than taking the FREE ISBN offered by KDP, CreaseSpace, etc. If you use the FREE ISBN, the official publisher of your book will be listed as KDP or CreateSpace. If you use your own ISBN number, your own author business (mine is a sole proprietorship called Lecture PRO Publishing) will be listed as the official publisher. This has 2 benefits. 1) If KDP or CS is your publisher, Amazon users will immediately know your book is self-published (which is a turn-off for some readers). 2) Using your own author business as the publisher for your books will help you build up a brand. Also, if you ever remove your book from KDP or CS, the FREE ISBN won't transfer so you will need to get a new ISBN (which you can avoid if you simply buy your own ISBN to start with). I hope this info helps.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
    3) Maximize Your Book Sales With Data Analysis: The Cure for Authorship Analysis Paralysis
    www.mikekowis.com

Actually, CreateSpace is only listed as the publisher for print books.
    For eBooks, they list whatever you put in the field. My books all show up as RottenApplePublishing.
    Dunno yet how that will work with Amazon's new print service.
    But essentially, having your own ISBN is not nearly as important as it used to be. (especially when you consider how few print books you will sell as an Indie.)

Also, if your book is available on Amazon in print AND eBook, the default publisher will be whatever you listed.
    The only way anyone sees Creratespace as your publisher is if they specifically select the print version, then surf way down the page for that detail.

Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/Calizona-This.../dp/B00GW5WIYI

Good to know about the eBooks. Thx!

For what it's worth, about 60% of my total book sales are print books... so having my own author business name as the official publisher is a big deal to me. But I only publish nonfiction books, so maybe fiction books don't sell as many print copies.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
    3) Maximize Your Book Sales With Data Analysis: The Cure for Authorship Analysis Paralysis
    www.mikekowis.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12