Inability to Daydream and Writer's Block - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My thoughts after reading your posts and responses to them. Why spend time with make believe when the real world surrounds you.

At 50 years old, writing what you know is easy. If you want an interested reader, write about him or her. If you want more interested readers write about an event that effected your family and friends, a bigger audience a town or group. The world of make believe is highly over rated, your quest for it baffles me.

The best make believe is that which mirrors life and people can relate to it, so practice the basics.

Start with the obvious, start with what in life made you who and what you are. That does not take meditation, or some form of day dreaming, but only the ability to remember and share with the reader what it was like to be there. Let the see the things you saw, hear the things you heard. Let them feel the same feelings of either joy or pain or anything else...that is good writing and the place everyone should start with.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your work in the the non-fiction forum on the site.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Ken Kesey,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

I think you should be happy that you lost the ability to daydream. It's waste of time. It doesn't get you anywhere other than going on a dreamy trip while you're getting older by every second.

So I guess it's time to put that daydream time into a use, especially when you are really that confident to say that you're a good fiction writer. Inspiration is everywhere to fuel your creativity, you yourself can even be your own inspiration for your creative work.

My parents are both in their 60. They are still diligently working. My mother also still takes care of most household chores. Yes, they are busy. They have their own resting time and form of entertainment. What I don't see in them is a form of wasting time. So I can't see excuse here.

Again, if you're really that confident in yourself that you were able to make good stuff, the only thing that needs to move now is you. I'm confident in my stories, but I'm uneducated in writing. Yet I'm putting time in this to make it work besides of doing my primary job while dealing with other problem. So unproductive time-skipping stuff should be the last thing you need to look for in this case.

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    Why spend time with make believe when the real world surrounds you.
    Because "make believe" equals imagination. And without that, there's very little that's truly new that'll ever come along, or ever would have.

Also, if you can't imagine the world around you being different, then why write about anything at all? Just live with the same old tired crap and be done with it.

Just my opinion, mind you.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

Jack, for me "pretty much" means to the best of my knowledge. I don't think I changes the word count on any of those stories by more than five words. The likelihood that that much fixed them all is not likely. I want to write new things. G.D. gave me something to try and I'm going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattapallax View Post
    ...I'm going to try it.
    Can't hurt and might help, so yeah, why not?

Just give it a chance, and don't expect any overnight miracles.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"Fiction is a lie, and good fiction is the truth inside the lie," Stephen King.

Don't confuse daydreaming with creativity. Any ten-year-old can sit around staring out his classroom window and daydream, but that doesn't mean he can write a good story. Crafting fiction requires creativity, and productive creativity requires hard work. Ideas for fiction can come from many sources; the news, a conversation with a stranger, a remembered smell. The key is to train your mind make connections between seemingly unrelated bits of information and to know how to build on that -- to foster and fertilize the seeds of a story. Daydreaming won't do that. Daydreaming is undisciplined and random.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    ...The key is to train your mind make connections between seemingly unrelated bits of information and to know how to build on that -- to foster and fertilize the seeds of a story. Daydreaming won't do that. Daydreaming is undisciplined and random.
    Funny, but that's exactly how it works for me, when I "daydream".

So it seems to me we're just arguing semantics... Or disciplined versus not.

Oh, and that thing I mentioned to Rattapallax? Meditation? That's just one of may ways to discipline an unruly mind that's all over the place and unfocused.

G.D.
    Thanks.
    G.D.

One of the concerns about me at the PTA meetings was that I did spend a lot of time looking out the window and daydreaming, when I was around 10.

There are a lot of roads to get there but I can't comprehend any of them not using both innovation and imagination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12