New cover design

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New cover design

New cover design

So this is my first foray into outsourcing my covers, but there is just not a lot of clip art of the Queen Mary floating over Long Beach Harbor. I checked.
    I was looking for retro, like golden age of sci-fi, with a touch of 70's disaster genre.
    What'dya think?

Does the author font look okay, or should it be something more serious?

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Conceptually it's fine but stylistically I would say it needs work (not sure if it's a final version or a prototype). What's the genre? Within that, is it slightly comedic or more pulpy?

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

It looks okay but could be better if she had a camera instead of a cellphone. I like how it looks like a painting, it is very well drawn and colored. That's my opinion anyhow, it looks better than covers I have seen. I doubt you'd replace the cellphone with the camera. This is just my opinion.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

It looks cartoony, caricaturish. If that's what you were after, then it works. The fonts are fine in-context. The original art wasn't done in enough pixels and the expansion looks underexposed. Love the scene, just not the execution.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I like the artwork.

I'm not a huge fan of the font, though. Seems a bit ... goofy? I know you're going for that old-school feel, but it looks more amateurish than retro (to me).

The drop shadow adds to the amateurish feel (even though it fits, thematically, with the anti-gravity concept). Have you tried putting a drop shadow under "Irrelevant" only, just to see how that looks?

I say find a font that's a bit more on the serious end, and you're in business.

Blog Entries
    I'm not seeing any artwork, so I guess my comment is "not enough contrast."

UPDATE: Okay, I had to look at the forum in Windows to see it (it's not visible in Firefox for Mac).

Anyway, I have several points to make:

1. Competing art styles. It seems there are a couple different image styles working at odds here. On the one hand you have the ship and helo which are realistically rendered, and then you have the spectators in the foreground which are much less realistically rendered. This is odd and makes the image seem unfinished and, I'm afraid, amateurish in my view.

2. Size relationships. The dominant and most interesting part of the composition should be the ship. In my view it should be the biggest object in the frame. But it's not. The biggest object is the blob of poorly rendered spectators. This weakens the composition considerably.

3. The blond spectator at least makes sense. We can see that she is taking a photo of the ship. But what the heck is that other blob doing? It looks to me like she/he is not really a person, but merely a platform to support the blond's boobies. Rule #1 in cover design: if it isn't needed, don't include it.

4. Font. The font choice is okay, I'm not crazy about it but it may suggest a sort of madcap tone that is present in the writing. I don't know if that is the case or not, so I'll defer to the artist's choice here. However, I suggest inserting a bit of spacing between the letters to aid legibility. Also, the holes in the "A" become very tiny and tend to make it less recognizable as an "A".

5. Question: Are you a well known author? If yes, then ignore this comment. But if no, then why is your name the biggest text on the page? If you aren't well known enough in this genre, then greater emphasis is better placed on the title.

Apologies if these criticisms seem harsh. They are meant to be brutally honest.
    Last edited by sigmadog; October 6th, 2018 at 04:10 AM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

With the title where it is, it kind of looks like maybe the ship is being lowered by a crane that's outside the picture.

With the calm water and dry ship, it looks like it's being placed into the water and not pulled up out of the water.

I agree with the other points sigmadog made.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    It looks cartoony, caricaturish. If that's what you were after, then it works. The fonts are fine in-context. The original art wasn't done in enough pixels and the expansion looks underexposed. Love the scene, just not the execution.

I am aiming at almost a 60ish sci-fi magazine look. So it is supposed to look a look a little cartoonish.

Underexposed? I do not understand Master Yoda?

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post

3. The blond spectator at least makes sense. We can see that she is taking a photo of the ship. But what the heck is that other blob doing? It looks to me like she/he is not really a person, but merely a platform to support the blond's boobies. Rule #1 in cover design: if it isn't needed, don't include it.

4. Font. The font choice is okay, I'm not crazy about it but it may suggest a sort of madcap tone that is present in the writing. I don't know if that is the case or not, so I'll defer to the artist's choice here. However, I suggest inserting a bit of spacing between the letters to aid legibility. Also, the holes in the "A" become very tiny and tend to make it less recognizable as an "A".

5. Question: Are you a well known author? If yes, then ignore this comment. But if no, then why is your name the biggest text on the page? If you aren't well known enough in this genre, then greater emphasis is better placed on the title.

Apologies if these criticisms seem harsh. They are meant to be brutally honest.

I think #3 and #5 above are the same issue. I made the author name so big that it ruined the artwork. Because I block out the 2nd spectator, the cover tells a different story. I'm gonna change that to line the bottom of the page.

#4: I was aiming for sixties sci-fi Radio-Shack kinda flavor. Does it need to be more serious? Should the title font be different from the author font?

But you are right, I need to add a tiny bit of spacing to the title, and increase the notch in the letter A. Tweaking it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast