When do you write & how do you treat that time?

When do you write & how do you treat that time?

Okay, as some of you know from my previous posts, I write every day from 0400-0800, M-F, and 0400-1200 on weekends, 7 days a week. During these times I do not allow social media or other goofing around. It's a rigorous schedule, but I get a LOT of writing done.

Of course I say that even though today I am totally violating my rules. I stayed in bed until 0530, then typed exactly 3 words, and have been screwing around on twitter and forums since. I guess a day off is in order, but it'll prolly drive me crazy until tomorrow morning.

Anyhow, this is the question today: Do you have specific writing times, when is it, are you disciplined during these hours, are you consistent in these efforts? Do you have a special place that you write? Do you lock the door? What are some of your idiosyncrasies when you write?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

I write:
    Baseball during and after the game, whether live or memorex. That's a constant. If there's no game scheduled, I put one on from the list at MLB.TV. Baseball writing takes up three hours daily, which is the approximate length of a game. 1000-1500 words daily. Half of my income comes from this, so it comes first.
    Politics while watching the national news, which is also available live or memorex. There's less looking-up and copy/pasting involved, and that 1000-1500 takes about an hour. It doesn't pay as well as the baseball, unless I'm writing for a national organ.
    Fiction when I can, usually in the late morning/afternoon while waiting for the game to start, after my meds have gotten done fighting for control of the meat. Daily goal is 1000-1500, and I almost always exceed that. Even If I don't keep the words, the exercise is good, and it adds up FAST. If I have to, I can write a novel in a weekend, or a couple of days of concentrated effort. I've done it. But I'd rather take my time, and I prefer novelette/novella length. I also write fiction usually in my office/studio, with the door closed so that the felines can't disturb the process.

For me, there are rituals involving hippie speedballs and exercise-bike-riding, which allow me to piggyback off the endorphins and dive headfirst into new tasks while feeling well. Dopamine, babay!

There's also daily editing time, which is done with only coffee as an aid. I write on the drugs. I edit on the sobers.

Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry pre-orders -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I don't have a rigid schedule.

I have a reasonably demanding day job, so I rarely push myself to do anything during the week. I'll work on edits, or do some writing IF I feel inspired, but I don't push. And then on weekends... whatever fits in around my other activities. It sounds pretty loose, but my goal is 365K published words per year, and I just about always make it.

I think, at least for me, there's a law of diminishing returns associated with writing time. When I have longer periods off work I set myself a goal of 2K or 3K words per day - that's enough for me to feel productive but still have time for enjoyable activities, social life, etc. It takes me about an hour to do a thousand words, so that's 2 or 3 hours of writing a day.

But when I've tried to push for more than this? I used to be able to do 5K a day no problem, but that was back when I was just starting out and I had a huge backlog of creativity waiting to be expressed. Now, if I sit at the computer for 3 hours, I'll get 3K words. If I sit at the computer for 8 hours, there's no way I'll get 8K words, at least not day after day. I just don't have that much creative energy.

I could certainly never write a novel in a weekend. Even if I skipped sleep (which really wouldn't work for me) I'd still only be able to get 48K words in a 48 hour period. Not enough! And I seriously doubt I'd be pleased with the quality of whatever I DID manage to come up with!

Wow! 365k words a year! That's pretty incredible.
    And I calculate Mod's writing in the neighborhood of 400k per anum.
    And I thought I was hot shit for writing a half million words in the last 24 months.
    I been schooled!

Alright, let's hear from the rest of you mugs!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Anyhow, this is the question today: Do you have specific writing times, when is it, are you disciplined during these hours, are you consistent in these efforts? Do you have a special place that you write? Do you lock the door? What are some of your idiosyncrasies when you write?

Inquiring minds wanna know!
    When I a working on a writing project, I usually allocate 1-2 hours in the evening after I come back from the gym, or an hour or so in the morning on a day off. However, there are instances when I'm spontaneous and just want to write and get a few pages in at random times of the day. I've even spent my lunch hours at work writing while eating, because a story idea really needed to be put to paper.

I do prefer my evening writing though. I find if I empty my head before I go to bed, I have a better sleep, and sometimes wake up with a renewed vigor for writing as well.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

http://www.jasonbuchholz.net

Generally, my rule is to add and edit something everyday. But I write anytime I want.

I don't know about everyone else, but for me writing is like taking a dump. It's not something I can just force to come out.

I don't have a particular schedule. Being a night-owl and retired though, I seem to get the most done from 11:00pm to about 4:00am, lately. Still, if a thought occurs to me, I'll start the computer and add it, no matter what time of day it is.

G.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Guard Dog View Post
    I don't have a particular schedule. Being a night-owl and retired though, I seem to get the most done from 11:00pm to about 4:00am, lately. Still, if a thought occurs to me, I'll start the computer and add it, no matter what time of day it is.

G.D.

Heh, I used to do a lot of late-night writing, but stopped after I noticed that the stuff I wrote at the end of the day was less cohesive and required tons of editing (as compared to the stuff I wrote in the morning when my brain was fresh.)
    Sometimes I'd be reading stuff I wrote the night before and muttering to myself "What the hell was I thinking here...?"
    Tis why I do the crazy early morning writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Heh, I used to do a lot of late-night writing, but stopped after I noticed that the stuff I wrote at the end of the day was less cohesive and required tons of editing (as compared to the stuff I wrote in the morning when my brain was fresh.)
    Sometimes I'd be reading stuff I wrote the night before and muttering to myself "What the hell was I thinking here...?"
    Tis why I do the crazy early morning writing.
    I am not a morning person... unless I'm coming at the morning from "the other end", meaning I've already been up since the day before some time. I've been that way all my life.

Also, since I've had this story in my head for so long, as I've mentioned elsewhere, it really seems to work best for me if I can just get out of my own way and let it out.
    There really are times when it seems like it's writing it's self, and I'm just the idiot that happens to be needed to do the typing.
    I'll usually go back at some point, maybe a chapter or two, and do a little light editing... catching typos, spelling, etc., and maybe re-word a sentence or two, but by and large there hasn't been anything that's embarrassed me when I've re-read it.

Now, I do need to go back and re-do the first 3 or 4 chapters, since I hadn't really gotten my balance at that point, but the structure of the story is still sound, and what I intended it to be. But I'll catch that later, rather than lose my momentum now, and have to find it again.

But, again, since I have no real idea of what the hell I'm doing, having always been a visual-arts person... maybe how I'm goin' about it isn't how I should be...

G.D.