How do you market sci-fi???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you market sci-fi???

I really love to write sci-fi, but it always sells like c-rap!
    How do you market science fiction?
    Where do you go to shamelessly self promote sci-fi books?
    Where do geeks hang out?

I have no answer for you, I have the same problem because poetry is an extremely small market and although I love writing it, I need better ways to promote and market my book.

Ralph rotten try writing for the short story market. They promote your novels there when a work is accepted. Maybe moderan was on to something when he said writers also write non-fiction articles. That should promote you, and adds additional name recognition if you win a contest. Remember some receive thousands of visitors. Asmiov magazine is recieved in bookstores such as barnes and noble, and others. The same is the case for fantasy and science fiction magazine. Market your book on your website too. All these magazines give lots of exposure. A lot of the time, people post their web links to biographies and books.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 14th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I really love to write sci-fi, but it always sells like c-rap!
    How do you market science fiction?
    Where do you go to shamelessly self promote sci-fi books?
    Where do geeks hang out?
    Because it's been conflated with 'Fantasy'. SF sales have lagged since the late 70s when The Sword of Shannara showed what kinda schlock would sell zillions and started knocking hard sf off the bookshelves.
    Name recognition is the best marketing tool I can see. Short story/article pubs, book reviews. Networking isn't as positive a tool as it is in other fields, and the field is highly politicized right now.
    Also, the term "Sci-Fi" is a pejorative to 'trufans', who used it to refer to 50s B-Movies and the kinda stuff you get on the SyFy channel. And here are thousands of those people, and they're your target market.

Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry pre-orders -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Also, the term "Sci-Fi" is a pejorative to 'trufans', who used it to refer to 50s B-Movies and the kinda stuff you get on the SyFy channel. And here are thousands of those people, and they're your target market.
    I've heard this before, but I've never been clear on what the "preferred" term is. In writing, I see "SF", but do people really use that term orally? Like, they just say the letters? Or are we supposed to do the full Science Fiction every time, or...?

What IS the non-pejorative term for the genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    I've heard this before, but I've never been clear on what the "preferred" term is. In writing, I see "SF", but do people really use that term orally? Like, they just say the letters? Or are we supposed to do the full Science Fiction every time, or...?

What IS the non-pejorative term for the genre?
    SF, which can stand for Science Fiction or Speculative Fiction -- the latter is much in vogue now, as is SFF, which is Science Fiction/Fantasy, not a preferred term for purists like me that see the two as separate genres, but operative in current marketing as SF doesn't sell.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Maybe the solution is to simply not categorize my books as SF.
    List 'em as humorous fiction or something else.

Is there a category for drunken stoner fiction?

Awwww geeez.
    I just checked my pre-sales for the next book that's due for release Oct 24th...and I have sold 1 copy.
    1 copy!!
    Holy bat-guano. I feel like the first schmuck that gets voted off the island in Survivor.
    I gotta fix the description, and find another category to list the book under.
    I wrote that book twice! I gotta sell more than 1 lousy copy.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    SF, which can stand for Science Fiction or Speculative Fiction -- the latter is much in vogue now, as is SFF, which is Science Fiction/Fantasy, not a preferred term for purists like me that see the two as separate genres, but operative in current marketing as SF doesn't sell.

So if you were talking about it, in person, would you say the letters? Like, "I write Ess Eff"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    So if you were talking about it, in person, would you say the letters? Like, "I write Ess Eff"?
    Yeah...though I'm more specific and will say spec fic, or weird fic if that's what I mean (depends on what I'm selling). Or pulp adventure fiction, if I'm talking about Ralph. That's part of my book-pitch. If someone gets interested enough to ask me to explain it, I put a book in their hands via my kindle and wax enthusiastic. Works like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast