Doubts in Writing

Doubts in Writing

Hi everyone. I am interested in a particular writing contest; however, apparently all the past winners are all degree holders (one even a professor) and all have extensive writing experience- several winners have published in newsletter and even small books (I think). Most of all, they all seem to be middle-aged adult- at least looking at their profiles.

I'm currently very young college student and the only writing credential I have is a gold key in writing Scholastic Art and Writing.

My question is do I have a chance against all these adults that seem to have more experience? Will I even stand a chance against these adults who seem to have more experience? Or does winning contests and the power of creativity know no age limits?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaboy4222 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am interested in a particular writing contest; however, apparently all the past winners are all degree holders (one even a professor) and all have extensive writing experience- several winners have published in newsletter and even small books (I think). Most of all, they all seem to be middle-aged adult- at least looking at their profiles.

I'm currently very young college student and the only writing credential I have is a gold key in writing Scholastic Art and Writing.

My question is do I have a chance against all these adults that seem to have more experience? Will I even stand a chance against these adults who seem to have more experience? Or does winning contests and the power of creativity know no age limits?
    The only way you have no chance is if you don't enter.
    I entered as writing contest last year for a 300-word flash fiction competition. Many of the entrants were experienced writers. Although I'm in my 60s, I'm a relative novice. I won it. If I hadn't entered, I wouldn't have won it.
    However you do in the contest, it will still be invaluable writing experience.

Is there an entry fee? If there is, can you afford it?

And if you enter and don't win, will it be hard for you to take?

The chances of winning ANY worthwhile contest are pretty low, really. There will be lots of other entrants, all of whom feel like they've got a shot of winning. So... you probably won't win. But unless it will somehow hurt you to enter, you may as well give it a try.

There's only one way to find out.

Plus, don't fear failure. Failure is part of the process. It's a stepping stone toward eventual success.

The only people who truly fail are those who're too scared to try.

What you win in any contest is being the owner of finished product. Anything else is bonus.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Do you know why those other writers wrote their big, bloated profiles?
    To intimidate you.
    Frack 'em. You just write the best story you can.
    Half of 'em prolly still live with their Mothers.