Anthology collections

Anthology collections

So far I have been thinking of picking three maybe four anthology collections of what were the big three authors of science fiction. (in this case Asimov, Clark, and Ray Bradbury). And since the collection costs a measly 3 dollars, I will pick up Alfred Bester's collection which is priced at 3 dollars (I use to own the physical copy but my doctor owns it now and never gave it back).

That's a lot to read. Close to 1000 pages each. Volume 1 from Asimov, and supposedly the 100 best short stories of Clark and Ray Bradbury. Ray Bradbury would write fantasy, and science fiction and different genres. Both are available on Kindle. Asimov's collection is not available on kindle I think and is cheaper as a book.

My motivation for doing this is to enjoy and be inspired at the same time. My question is, am I doing the right thing for this goal I have? My goal is to read as many different genres of science fiction as possible and get the best value for my money. I also know 1000 pages each will give me an excuse to read and write. So is this how you would approach it? I am thinking of doing the same for fantasy and eventually paranormal or dark fantasy fiction.

However, that is not my main concern about those other genres. If I knew author names worth reading in the golden age of fantasy fiction and paranormal, I would give it a try. It wouldn't hurt to hear recommendations though of the best authors in your opinion.

Assuming I have around forty dollars or more lying around to spend, is this the best option for my goals of getting inspired to write?

Thanks for giving advice and sharing your favorite recommendations regardless of the genre you recommend. So yes anthologies are what I am looking into buying. The more the better and the more influential, that fits my goal. I want to read different sub-genres of the genres. So I can learn the conventions.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 10th, 2018 at 06:59 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Those are collections. Anthologies have work by different authors. You might actually be better off buying anthologies that feature said authors' work and give an overview of similar works. The SF Hall of Fame volumes, The Hugo Winners books, notable anthos like Dangerous Visions, Adventures in Time and Space, Jeff VanderMeer's giant newish antho. Asimov, Clarke, and Bradbury are great but they only take you so far in those directions.

Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry pre-orders -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

The SF Hall of Fame volumes, The Hugo Winners books, notable anthos like Dangerous Visions, Adventures in Time and Space, Jeff VanderMeer's giant newish antho
    I will look these up and give them a glance, thanks for the recommendations Moderan. The main worry is to find all subgenres, so I can read from and get a sense what they are about in general. I have read very few first contact stories for example, and cyberpunk I need to read more. I will take the advice seriously when I look online. I considered dangerous visions, but the problem was that is not on kindle. I remembered you recommended it to me. It has new wave authors in it. I'll check again everywhere online. My packages can take more than 2 weeks in arriving.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I will look these up and give them a glance, thanks for the recommendations Moderan. The main worry is to find all subgenres, so I can read from and get a sense what they are about in general. I have read very few first contact stories for example, and cyberpunk I need to read more. I will take the advice seriously when I look online. I considered dangerous visions, but the problem was that is not on kindle. I remembered you recommended it to me. It has new wave authors in it. I'll check again everywhere online. My packages can take more than 2 weeks in arriving.
    Well damn, you're right. I had no idea. There's a cyberpunk antho called Mirrorshades, but a search tells me it isn't available as an ebook either. Both are indespensible as content for an sf library. The second volume, Again, Dangerous Visions IS available as an ebook.
    I'll consult my archives and see if I have one or the other or both in there somewhere. I have stuff that was scanned in doc form in the mid-90s and can convert that stuff to .mobi if it exists.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I looked at Jeff Vander Meer's anthology the big book of science fiction, the nebula showcase, dangerous visions volume 2. I will get those first. These are all available on Kindle. Mirrorshades I will eventually buy at a later day (as well as the rest). I will eventually purchase the rest as I add them to my reading list. Thanks, I appreciated the recommendations. Without failing to remember I will get the others when circumstances permit. But that should help a lot, with the inspiration. Thanks again for taking the time to tell me which were well worth my time to answer my question about what I should read.

Least I could do on the only subject I actually know about