Darren and the eBook - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rob, yes, I agree with you. About the pictures, it is the reason I will probably not include the paintings that are in the paperback.

As for the eBook and formatting. In a thread elsewhere which is also very interesting the subject of fonts has been discussed. Fonts are very important to me. I get a second chance here with the eBook. You hear and learn that serif fonts are better for printed books and sans-serif for on screen readers. For me personally that is not true, the fonts I like best on screen are always serif. You'll even see it in the way I format all my forum messages. I have a hard time distinguishing letters otherwise, plus I simply LOVE serif fonts. Period.

That said, I like to give this book an attractive layout. I think it's important to all books, but especially for poetry. Yes, it is a niche market, poetry, so I try to attract readers.
    I have my headings in Small Capital, and have even considered giving the first word of every poem a fancy font, but I will probably skip that one. Don't overdo it, Darren.

I am a book-sniffer, yes they exist. I have a couple of antique books where you can still find that scent of ink. I love it. I do however not have enough space here to store books, so I use an e-reader instead. And by editing my book as beautiful as I can without going over the top, I hope to come close to that feeling of love for books that I have.
    Last edited by Darren White; September 11th, 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    Rob, yes, I agree with you. About the pictures, it is the reason I will probably not include the paintings that are in the paperback.

As for the eBook and formatting. In a thread elsewhere which is also very interesting the subject of fonts has been discussed. Fonts are very important to me. I get a second chance here with the eBook. You hear and learn that serif fonts are better for printed books and sans-serif for on screen readers. For me personally that is not true, the fonts I like best on screen are always serif. You'll even see it in the way I format all my forum messages. I have a hard time distinguishing letters otherwise, plus I simply LOVE serif fonts. Period.

That said, I like to give this book an attractive layout. I think it's important to all books, but especially for poetry. Yes, it is a niche market, poetry, so I try to attract readers.
    I have my headings in Small Capital, and have even considered giving the first word of every poem a fancy font, but I will probably skip that one. Don't overdo it, Darren.

I am a book-sniffer, yes they exist. I have a couple of antique books where you can still find that scent of ink. I love it. I do however not have enough space here to store books, so I use an e-reader instead. And by editing my book as beautiful as I can without going over the top, I hope to come close to that feeling of love for books that I have.

Why not include pictures? What's the problem?

I also don't understand why you wouldn't simply use the same fonts as the print version. I HATE when there's a difference. At least if it's not absolutely necessary.

Don't waste a lot of time with font selection for the ebook! In my experience, most folks who read ebooks a lot have a favorite font, and they set their reader to use only that font.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Why not include pictures? What's the problem?

I also don't understand why you wouldn't simply use the same fonts as the print version. I HATE when there's a difference. At least if it's not absolutely necessary.

Don't waste a lot of time with font selection for the ebook! In my experience, most folks who read ebooks a lot have a favorite font, and they set their reader to use only that font.
    The font thing, that is true, I think I do that just for my own sake.
    There is not much difference, at least not when I am finished, I'll have to work on properly indenting certain poems.
    I'm not sure yet about the pictures. I'll have to see what happens when I scale the pages. How they will behave relative to the text.

The font thing, that is true, I think I do that just for my own sake.There is not much difference, at least not when I am finished, I'll have to work on properly indenting certain poems. I'm not sure yet about the pictures. I'll have to see what happens when I scale the pages. How they will behave relative to the text.
    What do you mean "how they behave relative to the text"?Did you indent the poems in the print version?I don't really understand why there's a need to reformat for the ebook, except of course the code that's supporting the text. I tend to think the two should be the same in appearance, until the reader starts changing fonts and doing whatever other alterations he/she can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    What do you mean "how they behave relative to the text"?Did you indent the poems in the print version?I don't really understand why there's a need to reformat for the ebook, except of course the code that's supporting the text. I tend to think the two should be the same in appearance, until the reader starts changing fonts and doing whatever other alterations he/she can make.
    Jack,

what I mean is that the text on e-reader pages has no absolute place, it is relative, depends on how the reader chooses font and size. And I am wondering what happens to the pictures, if they have no absolute place in the text, then nothing is wrong and I can place them without problems. If they do however have a fixed place, then I have a problem.

I shape a lot of my poems, in a paperback that is no problem because it is fixed. On an e-reader that might be a problem because my lines and words jump right and left. When people increase font size, the shape of the poem goes lost and the poem becomes unreadable. For that reason I have lined everything out to the left, and have only used small indents instead.

Jack,

what I mean is that the text on e-reader pages has no absolute place, it is relative, depends on how the reader chooses font and size. And I am wondering what happens to the pictures, if they have no absolute place in the text, then nothing is wrong and I can place them without problems. If they do however have a fixed place, then I have a problem.

I shape a lot of my poems, in a paperback that is no problem because it is fixed. On an e-reader that might be a problem because my lines and words jump right and left. When people increase font size, the shape of the poem goes lost and the poem becomes unreadable. For that reason I have lined everything out to the left, and have only used small indents instead.

You can fix the pictures vertically, but not horizontally. In other words, you can text above and/or below a picture (vertically). Trying to put text to the left or right of a picture is more difficult. Though not, I think, impossible.

The shape of the text seems really cool! It's true that changing the font or size would ruin it.

One possibility is to make the ebook static, by having each page be a picture. It takes away reader control, and you might lose readers because of it, but you would get to keep the visual impact. Something to consider.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to add the artwork to your book.
    With eBooks you can doubletap on a pic to get a close-up, pinch-zoom, and really examine the art.
    Artwork actually works better in eBooks than print books. Just be sure you zap it with a good photo-compression tool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123