Any tips on writing action scenes? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In my experience of reading action scenes, a good fight, physical or verbal or whatever it is, follows a similar structure to that of the larger story: increasingly high stakes, a climax point, maybe a moment where the reader thinks the antagonist has won, etc. Dialogue interspersed throughout can also add interest.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

That sounds a little formulaic.
    Write from the heart.

It can also help to show us what's going on in your characters' heads--that's an advantage we writers have that movies don't. If your character is terrified out of their wits, show us their fear. If they're an experienced fighter who thinks they can handle their opponent, show us their arrogance. If they're extremely smart, have them plan out their moves three or four steps in advance. If they've been trained to fight, have them rely on their training (you can reference specific moves/principles/instructions).

Also, don't be afraid to use the environment--have them worry about the rain getting in their eyes, have them grab a knife off the kitchen counter, have them use surrounding noise to help them sneak up on their opponent. Whether it's dark/light/hot/cold/cramped/windy can make a big difference.

Read Hemingway: Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Death in the Afternoon, No Man is an Island. Hemingway is the master of action writing. Short, declarative sentences. Minimal description. Active verbs.

Despite of being frightened, John's quick wit made him able to swiftly dodge the hooligan's swing and struck a jab on his jaw. Something flew out of his mouth; it was his tooth. Seeing that, another hooligan dashed forward to attack John from behind only to meet his thrusting back kick in the guts. The third hooligan made his move and pushed John down to the ground, strangling his neck with his thick veiny hands. That was a hell of two seconds until John swung his right knee a lucky strike to the hooligan's testicle. Then John smacked the temple with both of his hardened palms, knocking the hooligan off crumpling in two-ways pain. John quickly got up while the rest are down and he left the dark alley as fast as a beaten dog who just won a fight.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but this is basically how I do it. So don't feel bad.

Ah, I understand. I don't really use a specific type of fighting, but I guess giving my main protagonist a style of fighting would help add to his character. I appreciate all the tips you've all given me.

Good point, there are martial arts, kung-fu, and more fighting styles like judo.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12