Which sentence reads better?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Which sentence reads better?

Which sentence reads better?

Trying to decide which sentence would be more grammatically correct and read better. It's a small change. Don't know if I should use the comma, semi-colon, or hyphen at the end of the sentence.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator; catching sight of himself in its reflection.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator, catching sight of himself in its reflection.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator - catching sight of himself in its reflection.

The 2nd one.
    ...but you should remove the excess adjectives; low & oval.
    Too many descriptors in one sentence.

$0.02

I would say the second or third example as it's not a case for a semi-colon.
    I agrre with Ralph about excess adjectives.
    'and caught' might work better than 'catching'.

Hearing a muffled whoosh beside to him, he caught his reflection in the elevator as he turned towards it.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletM.Sinclaire View Post
    Trying to decide which sentence would be more grammatically correct and read better. It's a small change. Don't know if I should use the comma, semi-colon, or hyphen at the end of the sentence.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator; catching sight of himself in its reflection.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator, catching sight of himself in its reflection.

Hearing a low muffled whoosh next to him, he turned toward the oval elevator - catching sight of himself in its reflection.
    The second one - the comma. The subclause as it is doesn't warrant a dash or a semi-colon on its own.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

The second one, as the first and third are usage errors. A semicolon is used to pair two weak sentences that could technically stand on their own; the author doesn't want them to stand on their own. A dash is usually used specifically to break up the sentence or to draw attention to the second clause. On days I had nothing better to do - which was most days - I could be found floating down the creek aimlessly. The thought can then continue on after a second dash as you see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    Hearing a muffled whoosh beside to him, he caught his reflection in the elevator as he turned towards it.

Before I revised the sentence it was phrased this way. I'm trying to follow some of the advice my fellow WF members have given me. I tend to use adverbs a lot and I'm trying to get away from using them as frequently.

Thank you guys for your help!