Looking for an artist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an artist

Looking for an artist

Ugggh.
    So now that I am done with everything for my upcoming book release, I need to focus on the other book* I have ready to go.

I have searched high & low for just the right cover but everything I found was underwhelming.
    But I did find something that was the perfect style for what I want:

I love the retro look of this pic, it really stands out from all the modern, glossy covers out there. But this image is copyrighted (from 1926.)
    I even love the texture of the old-style printing process.
    Anyone know any artists who could pull this off (without costing a fortune?)

*The book is called The Day Gravity Became Irrelevant. It's about the invention of gravitational disaffinity [aka; antigravity].

How much is a fortune? I know a couple dozen people who could do this. Look up Pete von Sholly. He'd be the first I'd think of.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I know a guy

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content

I'm so cheap that I invented copper wire by...well, you know the joke.
    What kind of prices would be reasonable for this kind of artwork?
    Are we talking fifty bucks, $100...?

Ralph, do you have any local universities/colleges with an arts program? That has always been my go-to for artistic needs. If you can't network in, try just putting an ad in the school paper or on a bulletin board.

A talented student artist will always be cheaper than a seasoned pro (though not free -- there's a special place in hell for people who take advantage of artists by substituting payment for "free exposure" or some other bollocks) and still comes with the good karma. I have found while you mostly get what you pay for, for a book cover along the lines of the example you provided probably doesn't NEED a professional artist, though if you have the money for one and want something really special then by all means.

I don't tend to put much stock in the book covers of novels myself, but I know some do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I'm so cheap that I invented copper wire by...well, you know the joke.
    What kind of prices would be reasonable for this kind of artwork?
    Are we talking fifty bucks, $100...?
    Depends on the artist. In general, that's someone that knows what they're doing and has a track record. A range from 250-500 isn't unreasonable. I've trolled DeviantArt and found good artists there, but they're often unreliable.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I paid $300 for the image I'm going to use on The Devil's Hairball. I'd seen the bloke's artwork and liked it, so sent him an email asking if he'd create what I wanted and how much it would cost.

That price included shipping of the original, painted on board, from the US to the UK, plus a high quality digital image of the painting.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post

I don't tend to put much stock in the book covers of novels myself, but I know some do.
    They're everything. I used to buy books based on the cool covers and thickness of the book.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falii2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	22659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nightmaregrove.jpg 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	22660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crazytown.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	22661
    Ralph, these are commissioned artworks for this year's books, in that price range.
    Hidden Content

Yep: People really do judge books by their covers.
    I'm currently checking out the cover designer with Indie United. See what she can offer me.
    I have a release date set for Oct 24th (wednesday is the best sales day on Amazon).

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    They're everything. I used to buy books based on the cool covers and thickness of the book.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falii2.jpg 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	22659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nightmaregrove.jpg 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	22660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crazytown.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	22661
    Ralph, these are commissioned artworks for this year's books, in that price range.

What'd you pay for those covers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast