Indies United Publishing House

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indies United Publishing House

Indies United Publishing House

A group I know [distantly] is putting together something that I find philosophically quite fascinating.
    They are creating a platform where Indies can come together under one house with the intent of magnifying their power through collective publishing.

I have actually theorized about doing something like this, and the concept tantalizes me.
    They're called Indies United Publishing House, and they are looking for Indie writers.
    https://www.indiesunited.net/

However...they have not even opened yet (not until September), and their ranks are thin. Actually, at this point I don't think they have any ranks. Also, the odds of failure are high; it's a tough market. I consulted Moderan and he gave me more than a few words of caution about the endeavor...

Still, the idea of dozens of Indies banding together, tweeting together, peer-reviewing each other, and legitimizing Indies, is a concept that really thrills me. I am seriously considering publishing with them. I have a brand new book, fully edited, proofed, bound, and ready to go. It's not part of my series, and I am lousy at marketing sci-fi, so I am teetering. So at this point I will read the contract and other associated documentation they have provided (they have already accepted my book The Day Gravity Became Irrelevant.)

I'll come back to this thread and post more after I read the contract & small print. Originally I was gonna keep it a secret (because I'm an asshole) but decided (reluctantly) to share it with y'all.

Check it out. It could be a better alternative to publishing on your own, or it could go bust in the first year. But I have always wanted to get in on something on the ground floor, and as I mentioned, philosophically I like the concept. Will it work? WTFK?

Perhaps helping indie authors is something WF should focus on. We have a huge reach with millions upon millions of page views per year. And we have been established on the net for over 14 years. What can WF do to help?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

I have been tweeting to about 2000 writers a day, inviting them to the forum.
    Many of them are Indie published, some working writers...
    This is the era of the Indie writer.

I'm still reading the contract & submission materials for IUHP, and so far it looks okay. The terms are clear, there is an escape clause, and they don't take any of your royalties. Also, they have a clause that allows them to kick to the curb anyone who conducts revenge reviews or consistently flames other members without just cause. They just retire the offender's ISBN, and the jerk has to go start over.

Members will be required to review one book by another IUHP member every quarter, tweet or post on social media about IUHP at least once a week. Basically you would have a group of writers, self published but under one banner, giving each other reviews while helping to market the group.

The only hiccup to the whole utopian idea is bringing in the writers. The idea could really be awesome, or it could flop like a fish.
    I still need to have my lawyer [brother] look at the contract to make sure it doesn't have any pitfalls that I did not see.

At first glance I don’t see them publishing anything. They offer two things: discounted individual ISBNs ($25 instead of $125) and a mention on their website. Those who buy at the discounted price have to contact to publicise IU and their social media efforts.

IU make $23.50 on each ISBN and rely on their customers to drive a joint marketing campaign. Their media presence and mail lists will be of great value in the future, and as each book requires a minimum of three ISBNs (print, .epub and .mobi) they make $70.50 per novel.

The indie writer saves $100 if they were going to buy individual ISBNs, but if they opt to use ISBNs provided by other service providers they lose $25. If they bulk buy ISBNs they save a lot less. If they group with other indie writers they can achieve the same social media sharing.

They don’t seem to do any of the grunt work for writers (but have partner vendors who will charge for the work). Maybe they do more but their current information focuses on selling ISBNs and enforcing customers of their ISBNs to promote them via their existing social media channels.

Most prolific indies publish more than three books, which means they will buy ISBNs direct in blocks of 100. At the rate ISBNs cost under $6 each so $25 is expensive. Therefore IU is only attractive to those publishing one or two books, who believe they will achieve orders from bookstores. Otherwise you are paying $25 per book to give IU access to your social media accounts.

I’m not sure at the moment.

Would a board (forum) dedicated to Indie Authors be of value?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_C View Post

Most prolific indies publish more than three books, which means they will buy ISBNs direct in blocks of 100. At the rate ISBNs cost under $6 each so $25 is expensive. Therefore IU is only attractive to those publishing one or two books, who believe they will achieve orders from bookstores. Otherwise you are paying $25 per book to give IU access to your social media accounts.

Actually I never buy ISBNs. I use the free ones supplied by CP. Have yet to find a downside, but then again, I have never tried to move one of my books from CP to another vendor.

I didn't get that they have access to my social media, there is only a requirement to tweet or SM about the group at least weekly.*
    But that would make sense because you would need to each help to build up IUPH in order to help market your own work.
    I've done the solo route, and I am always looking for ways to increase marketing and visibility.
    To quote a famous general: I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good.

Seriously tho, my biggest concerns are:
    1) They may not bring in enough writers to make it worthwhile
    2) It could get pricey having to buy a member's book every quarter.

*I already do that for WritersForum.com, so what's an extra few tweets?

Hi
    I'll take a chance on this. Might it be a book of short stories by various indies? Who would be the editor? I might be willing to co-edit...
    How do I find out more?
    Zaslow

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Would a board (forum) dedicated to Indie Authors be of value?
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_C View Post
    At first glance I don’t see them publishing anything. They offer two things: discounted individual ISBNs ($25 instead of $125) and a mention on their website. Those who buy at the discounted price have to contact to publicise IU and their social media efforts.

IU make $23.50 on each ISBN and rely on their customers to drive a joint marketing campaign. Their media presence and mail lists will be of great value in the future, and as each book requires a minimum of three ISBNs (print, .epub and .mobi) they make $70.50 per novel.

The indie writer saves $100 if they were going to buy individual ISBNs, but if they opt to use ISBNs provided by other service providers they lose $25. If they bulk buy ISBNs they save a lot less. If they group with other indie writers they can achieve the same social media sharing.

They don’t seem to do any of the grunt work for writers (but have partner vendors who will charge for the work). Maybe they do more but their current information focuses on selling ISBNs and enforcing customers of their ISBNs to promote them via their existing social media channels.

Most prolific indies publish more than three books, which means they will buy ISBNs direct in blocks of 100. At the rate ISBNs cost under $6 each so $25 is expensive. Therefore IU is only attractive to those publishing one or two books, who believe they will achievorders from bookstores. Otherwise you are paying $25 per book to give IU access to your social media accounts.

I’m not sure at the moment.
    They charge $25 for each ISBN and make $23.50 profit? How many do they have to buy to get $1.50 per ISBN?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    They charge $25 for each ISBN and make $23.50 profit? How many do they have to buy to get $1.50 per ISBN?
    1000. From Bowker 1000 = $1500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast