Metaphors and Similes - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    and the handrail was as cold and wet as a toad's belly." -- Farewell, My Lovely
    I left her laughing. The sound was like a hen having hiccups.

I was trying to look at Chandler's style. Um, the similes and metaphors like the above stand out. Past that, Chandler uses a variety of metaphoricals in a competent way. He seems to have good variety, I think because he was working so hard on making metaphoricals. That was my experience too, and I still recommend it.

And, with no warning, one of the best metaphors I have ever read. Marlowe is miserable -- waking up in jail, he was doped, he was violently ill, he's weak. And we read:

Time passed again. I don't know how long. I had no watch. They don't make that kind of time in watches anyway.

"...They don't make that kind of time in watches anyway"

I love that bit particularly as it conjures up the different perspectives I've had on time over the years - like wishing it to pass faster when ill or wanting a moment to last forever. Yet it plods along at the same pace, oblivious to my or anyone's wishes.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567