Any other bakers out there?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other bakers out there?

Any other bakers out there?

I love to bake! And not to brag, but I’m pretty good at it. I’d really like to put in some more practice with decorating but I can’t bake very often. When I do, I eat it allllll

What do you like to bake?
    What are some of your favorite baking tips and tricks?

My wife was always "Dessert Girl" in her family, and retains the crown today.
    However, I have been pressed into service on numerous occasions.

When I worked in a group home, we did the daily cooking on the overnight shirt. I usually made dessert. I was told by the day staff that the kids would ask, "Did Winston make this (dessert)?" If it was affirmative, the dove in.
    My secret? Extra chocolate. Seriously, who doesn't like extra chocolate? For brownies and cake, I'd throw in a cup or two of chocolate chips. Cookies? Extra chocolate (and plenty of butter and brown sugar). These were teenage boys, they were not watching their figures.

Speaking of butter and brown sugar, there's your secret to a good pineapple upside down cake. Make sure the pan is generously coated with the caramelized glaze before you add the batter. The batter won't stick, and it gives the cake a crunchy, chewy binding with a soft moist center.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Can’t go wrong with extra chocolate! I put extra vanilla in everything. It makes everything taste better.

I dont know that I’ve every had pineapple upside down cake. Funny you should mention it though because I’m going through a pineapple phase. Pineapple upside down cake may just have to be my next project. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by meghanwithanH View Post
    I love to bake! And not to brag, but I’m pretty good at it. I’d really like to put in some more practice with decorating but I can’t bake very often. When I do, I eat it allllll

What do you like to bake?
    What are some of your favorite baking tips and tricks?
    Hi Meghan, I wrote a poem about a pie here. I do mostly quick-breads and pound cakes. And bars or cakes that go in a 13" x 9" or 8" x 8" square pan. I have a hand tremor so I can't do delicate decorative stuff.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

I love to make brownies and blondies and cheesecake squares and things like that. They’re so quick and easy. I don’t have usually have the patience for decorating and yet I wish I was better at it. I need to put in some practice time. Anyway, what kinds of bars and cakes do you like to bake?

I bake pineapple blueberry pound cake for a breakfast staple. Freezes great.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

[QUOTE=ppsage;2179546]I bake pineapple blueberry pound cake for a breakfast staple. /QUOTE]

Cake for breakfast sounds deliciously wicked. Any chance of the recipe, please?
    Hidden Content

Flashes now accepting submissions. Please submit your poetry, flash fiction and writing articles <Hidden Content >

I made nutella cheesecake with this recipe for my upcoming natal anniversary using this recipe form the New York Times: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...heesecake-bars -- I baked the crust and doubled the sugar and vanilla and added a 13-oz jar of Nutella before folding in the whipped cream.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

[QUOTE=PiP;2179553]
    Quote Originally Posted by ppsage View Post
    I bake pineapple blueberry pound cake for a breakfast staple. /QUOTE]

Cake for breakfast sounds deliciously wicked. Any chance of the recipe, please?
    5 eggs separated whip whites extra stiff
    third cup yogurt stirred w/ pinch of baking soda
    6 tablespoons butter creamed w/ a cup and a half granulated sugar
    9 x 15 inch metal cake pan buttered and floured
    zest one big lemon
    375 degree Fahrenheit preheat oven
    mix two cups white flour w/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
    5 egg yolks, splash vanilla and zest mixed into yogurt
    mix yolk combo and creamed sugar combo thoroughly
    add flour combo and mix thoroughly
    fold in beaten whites
    ease into baking pan and spread gently
    top with thin sliced pineapple and frozen blueberries, to taste, I use a lot
    bake 45 min
    I use one chunk of pineapple which I have ripened and cleaned and cut into eight chunks and frozen... thoroughly thawed
    fresh blueberries work but not as good
    sorry about all the 'English' units
    hope this makes sense?
    I cut the cake into eight pieces and wrap each in cling wrap
    we eat one each day, the first two fresh the rest frozen
    if, in the morning, none has been previously taken out to thaw, they're okay tasting frozen if sliced thin
    (this recipe is pretty forgiving, I rarely measure accurately)

edit I found my original starting recipe printout for this which is from allrecipe dot com recipe ID 7792 which I printed in 2013. That recipe is much smaller and wayyyy more butter and uses plums, which are getting ripe if it doesn't rain and which are really good in the cake but not available as much as pineapple and blueberies.
    Last edited by ppsage; August 21st, 2018 at 04:45 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast