Not completing novels - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks to everyone for your motivating encouragement.

I look forward to posting some of my writing and receiving helpful advice and critique.

I tend to find someone to kick around ideas and do a bit of brainstorming.

Part of the problem might be that there's not enough story for a novel. Maybe, as was suggested, find a new twist to add to keep the story going.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I used to know a gentleman who found it very difficult to concentrate for long periods of time. I suspect he had what would now be called by some disorder or another. He would write two books at a time. No more, no less.

Literally, two books. He would sit there with both open (on two different electric typewriters, later laptops) and when he got bored of or stuck he would immediately switch to t'other. That way he remained consistently productive, even when he felt himself frustrated, and avoided the pitfalls of "oh no I'm stuck so I'm going to watch TV".

Lucky: I actually subscribe to this method of writing, but as a way to beat writer's block. I keep multiple works going at one time, and when I become blocked on one, I write the other. By the time I stall on the 2nd story, I have usually figured out the first story. How well does it work? At this very moment I have 3 separate books ready to be published (about 460,000 words).

But I don't think this is Carly's problem. In fact, that concept is prolly a bit too advanced for her just yet.
    She just needs to get over that hump and see that the Wizard really is just some guy hiding behind the curtain.
    Nothing removes the mysticism of writing a book like actually finishing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Lucky: I actually subscribe to this method of writing, but as a way to beat writer's block. I keep multiple works going at one time, and when I become blocked on one, I write the other. By the time I stall on the 2nd story, I have usually figured out the first story. How well does it work? At this very moment I have 3 separate books ready to be published (about 460,000 words).

But I don't think this is Carly's problem. In fact, that concept is prolly a bit too advanced for her just yet.
    She just needs to get over that hump and see that the Wizard really is just some guy hiding behind the curtain.
    Nothing removes the mysticism of writing a book like actually finishing one.
    ...How about finishing two at once?

No, I agree and did not pose the idea as being a prescription for the illness so to speak. My point is rather simpler than that: One must look for ways to overcome an issue of lack of output.

There are many different ways to work and sometimes a change of tack, or taking a single book less seriously (nothing says “not afraid” like flipping over to another story and keeping going) can yield surprising results. If Carly is serious about being a productive writer her focus should be on consistently writing at all costs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12