Quick Question

Thread: Quick Question

Quick Question

If I have the beginnings of a book that I want someone to look over, say 20,000 words, is this the place to do it? Ultimately, I want to know if it's captivating enough to the reader to continue writing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Probably the best thing to do is once you have made the required number of posts, you will be able to access the secure workshops. Post your first chapter there for feedback.

What I would suggest is edit it well before you do. Errors can be distracting and you’ll have people pointing them out above discussing the writing quality and style.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolfsagas View Post
    If I have the beginnings of a book that I want someone to look over, say 20,000 words, is this the place to do it? Ultimately, I want to know if it's captivating enough to the reader to continue writing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Pete is correct. Please also bear in mind that beta reading anything is a tremendous investment of *typically uncompensated* time. Asking for a reading of 20,000 words plus feedback - several days or even weeks of whoever's life depending on how unintelligible your story is - for no reason other than to receive what is essentially an ego slobber into finishing is something a lot of people may take the wrong way. I would. Why should I bother beta reading something unfinished when I could be doing that for somebody who has bothered to complete their work?

I totally understand (and support) a writer's need to occasionally test the waters though, especially when newer and tackling unfamiliar subject matter. A first chapter or two condensed into a single excerpt with some attempt at editing, posted to a workshop should be sufficient to give you the indications you are looking for.
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

Ernest Hemingway