Want to go insane? Try writing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to go insane? Try writing.

There are so many avenues I could pursue with this. But frankly, I see no harm in creating a mosaic to let you decipher on your own.
    Have you ever sat down and wrote for four hours a day, every day, until you have a beautiful black and white manuscript in front of you of 85,000 words?
    Have you been told you have a gift in writing, something so unique and precious that you become possessive of it, unable to lend your work to a reader in fear they might steal it?
    Have you ever sat at a old wooden desk, a gas lantern to light the paper lying in front of you, the wind making the old house creak in the night with nothing but the characters on the page to keep you company?
    Have you been caught in the conundrum of being a writer in the wrong century, where anywhere from 600,000 - 1,000,000 books are published in the United States alone, with most of them utter trash? Or perhaps coming to realization that popularity, not skill, is what will set your book apart?
    Now, our story is not finished yet. Our lovely protagonist have written every day for at least four hours, erring on the side of five years worth of work.
    Can you imagine she has much time for friends, or social media? She doesn't. Social media and it's mindlessness sickens her. She lives alone, somewhere in the mountains. She sends an inquiry for one of her masterpieces to a publisher. It gets rejected.
    She isn't deterred. This is her life's work. She'll do what she can to make it happen.
    Hours later, she's ripping her hair out, strand by strand, her other hand gripping the computer mouse with deadly intent. Why? She's stumbled across Wattpad, writers forums, some horrific genre of prose called "fan-fic".
    Has this what society has been up to for the past five years?
    This...THIS is her competition?
    Hopelessness ensues. She has tried and failed to get noticed on the internet many, many times before. How do you infiltrate the mind of a million thoughts? Money, perhaps. Or explotation. A brilliant stroke of luck is likely the answer.
    But does she have any of those? No. She has skill, passion and hope. But in a matter of minutes, her hope has been shot dead. Her passion is slowly being smothered into nonexistence. And her skill? Well, that's the sad part, isn't it? It'll always be there, a soul cruising reminder of what could of been, had she simply been born a different time, or gifted with a brilliant stroke of luck.

I'm going to be very short (logical, I am a poet) and say welcome to WF
    I love your introduction, but... but... what are you writing exactly?

Dear lonewolfsagas,
    That is a story unto itself. I like the main character.
    She is welcome here and hopefully will find some
    ansewers to her questions. Please ask her to read
    DaRules. We have experts in all fields including
    publishing. Hope to see more snippets of her work.
    There are workshops open only to members and
    protect her rights. Have her browse around.
    And again welcome.

Yes Lone Wolf, I can say 'yes' to all those questions.
    Yes, the frustration made me pull out my hair...which is why I don't have any anymore.
    Writing makes be bi-polar.
    ...and as soon as I finish this book I will be starting a new one.

sincerely
    Sisyphus

Yup, me too. Writing for longer than four hours a day and for considerably longer than five years. Papered my office walls with my rejections back in the day . . . forty odd years ago.

Yes, there is way too much competition, and I wish I could have been discovered at some point forty years ago, but alas, I was not. Will I give up? Someday . . . maybe . . . but right now, I write on! I love my worlds and my talent is my own. No one can take that from me ever. I shall learn to do all I must to bring it to the attention of readers. Quiting is not an option!

Okay, I'll stop now . . . Welcome to this crazy place we call our writerly home. Take heart, there is a place for your prose! We are all in various stages of our writing endeavors, all have different skill levels, but all are passionate for writing. Have a look around and see if we're a fit for you!
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet – Anonymous
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Heh, maybe we should have a rejection letter competition.
    Categories for:
    1) Most rejections (tallest pile for the old-timers)
    2) Worst rejection letter
    3) Crappiest letter (like a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy)

I like the form letters where they didn't even bother to pen in a name. Thanks Strange Tales. I would submit again. Too bad you're defunct, three issues in.

I don't keep my rejection letters. Don't see much point in looking back. The story didn't work. Try, try again. Like a dandelion through concrete, we persist.

Hope your future finds more success than your past. Every pro had the amateur status once. Rejection defines us, shaping us into the writers we're gonna be.

I once got a very nice rejection letter from Rod Sterling's daughter, who was a sci-fi editor for many years. She actually took the time to tell me that my characters were too thin. I always thought that was pretty cool of her.

Wow... That's deep...

I guess that's why you need to do some research on your target audience too huh?

But still, I kinda get it. These days, a SIN (Self Insert) like Mary Sue can be much more popular than a very good original work. It makes me wonder, what exactly makes a good book, good?

Is it the professionals or the demographics? Is it the content of the book or the content of the reviews? Sure, most of them directly connects with each other, but in this digital era of communication. One has to be very updated to the media and trends. A book that'll probably be a legend 50 years ago might end up forgotten in draft folder at this era of time.

So, it all comes down to one single sentence.

Respect your Audience

A writer cannot exist without the readers. So make sure you write a book that's wanted to be read by your target audience.

Or at least that's what I get from the short story you made. Welcome to the site, I'm new here too, sorry if I accidentally say something offensive.

Thanks for reading!!!

I am reminded of the comedian who thought he was funny. He spent hours every day going over his routine to a mirror. He had no audience, he had devoted five years to practicing his bits alone on a mountain. He was convinced his material was good, so good in fact, he was afraid to share his jokes and his routines, for fear they might be stolen. Alone on the mountain, he gave up human contact. The little things that gave him human insight and first hand experience were gone or none existent.

He figured he was ready for Carnegie Hall, even though he had never even played in a small club. He was convinced he was ready for the big time. The other comedians who played the clubs, paid their dues with jokes that bombed, and routines that didn't work. They were busy fine tuning their craft each night, tweaking each line, reading the crowd and practicing their timing. They looked at the new guy and smiled. they had the same hope and dreams that he did.

The comedian got discouraged when he was rejected, he had little sympathy from the others, they didn't get invited to Carnegie Hall either, but they kept practicing their craft, sharing their jokes with the others. Some of them were good, some of them already played in some of the bigger clubs and were willing to help the new guy.

The question was asked by the others, was the new guy willing to put in the time to practice his craft and his timing or was he going to keep practicing in the mirror.

Maybe he has talent, maybe not. One thing is for sure he will not be wowing any of the old hands who have tested their material to the scorn or praise of others for years. They know success comes from hard work and talent.

Time will tell how he makes out.

Welcome to the club, new members are always welcome...Bob
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast