What would these villains do in this type of situation? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This crew could have a covert way to make contact with each other.
    Spies used to alert their handlers to a drop by doing all sorts of things like a chalk mark on a door, or flowers in a window. Mebbe they have a signal that tells them to lose all tails and meet somewhere pre-planned. So the guy goes home after being released (how he swings that after being arrested for attempted kidnapping is going to take some splainin') and the cops watch him for a boring day or two, then he spots the signal, and ditches them (or has someone wear his hoodie and watch TV on his sofa while the cops think they are watching him.)

Oh okay, that's kind of what I had in mind but it would be more like a couple of weeks more. Basically I want the main character cop, to blackmail the guy into wanting to meet the others at a pre-planned place, so he forces the guy to trick the others into all meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Okay thanks. Sorry, I don't mean to question the advice too much, it's just I don't understand it sometimes, when it goes in a whole new direction that I didn't see for my characters.

I didn't think the lawyer would have a reason to lie about whether or not he talked or not. I originally wrote it so that the guy who is arrested doesn't give his name to the police, so they are forced to let him go, without knowing who he is, but I was told by others that the police could still find out who he is anyway, and that wouldn't make much of a difference.

I just didn't think that being arrested and let go, would scare the person enough that he would likely turn himself in later. What if I wrote it so that the leader likes him for not talking and getting himself freed, and respects him for doing that, and therefore, just wants him to lay low, and continue acting innocent and not giving off any suspicion? Could I write it like that and it would work for the ending I want?

Or how am I implying that it's more problematic than it is?
    You should always question advice, however this is your story and advice only runs so far. What I mean by implying its more problematic is that this does not seem like a terribly unusual nor complicated scenario for a crime novel and I get a sense you are capable of figuring this out on your own simply by going through step-by-step. It is worth bearing in mind YOU are in control of your story, not the other way around. You are the architect. Anything you say goes.

I think a main issue you are having here is that you are assuming that the gangsters will have a full and balanced knowledge of the facts and there won't be any misunderstandings. In reality we all know misunderstandings happen all the time. You don't have to have them kill the guy who got arrested but then you have to make a clear case why they would be 100% confident in what the lawyer told them concerning the conversations with the police (or lack thereof). And that doesn't seem, on its face to be especially realistic. So again I ask you why would hardened criminals take a chance on a guy who had the opportunity to talk? Answer: They wouldn't probably, not in reality. He would either be killed OR there would be some other kind of insurance policy. Maybe it would be blackmail.

Criminals don't tend to "like" their colleagues personally so I'm not sure words like "like" and "respect" are really relevant in a realistic crime story That being said, they could be. Why not? Perhaps the leader has a personal connection with this guy -- whatever you want. There is always the stereotype of the Noble Thief to play with. Maybe the guy in question has done good things in the past. Maybe they were childhood friends. It is possible the leader, despite being otherwise a bastard, has a flash of humanity that has him go against his better instincts. You could have that backfire on them in the end, of course, for a little dramatic irony. Maybe a twist where it turns out the guy who was arrested who everybody said did not talk and the audience feels sorry for, who the leader decided to let back into the gang, actually DID agree to spy for the cops because *insert evil motive* and lo and behold, the story ends with them all getting busted/killed because he betrayed the gang. Sort of Shakespearean.

There are so very many options with this kind of plot. Most of them have been done ad nauseum but that doesn't mean you can't use them. Honestly at this point I am fairly confident could sit here and literally type out a serviceable (though quite generic) synopsis for you within 20-30 minutes, one covering all of the issues you mentioned above and with some decent subplots and character arcs and for a few hundred gold pieces I absolutely would, but its your story and you are more than capable of not just doing as well as me but ten times better.
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

Hidden Content

Oh okay thanks. Well the way I see it, is that even anyone in the gang can talk and I don't see this one talking more than the others, just cause he was arrested, especially when the villain advised him not to, if such a thing were to happen, cause talking only makes things worse, if you want to go free.

As for the gang believing the lawyer, their is a preliminary hearing to determine whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute, and the judge declares that there is not.

However, at the preliminary hearing, everything the suspect would have told the police would go on record. And since the suspect didn't talk, it would be on record that he didn't talk.

So even if the gang would not believe the lawyer, wouldn't they believe a legal court record?

But for my script basically I wanted the main character cop to force the suspect into helping him catch the others later, for the climax I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12