Which Editors?

Thread: Which Editors?

Which Editors?

Hello everyone,

I have a question that will involve me to touch on something a bit personal, but here goes . So I've taken my story as far as I can via on my own, but the problem is that I sort of have a reading disorder which does interferes with my writing sometimes. I need an editor that is not going to just say "Oh, you're switching tenses in this paragraph." That's not going to help a person like me, only because I wouldn't (alone) be able to personally see where this tense change is at. Not to mention that for the money I would be paying, I could have posted my manuscript someone else have a person tell me that for free.

I need an editor that is more so for example "Oh, you're switching tenses here. I would suggest change ___ to ___ to keep the statement in past tense." So I need to know from you all which would be the best choice in terms of something like that between:
    editorial assessment, developmental editor, or a copy-editor?

I'm thinking it's more of a copy-editing thing, but I just want to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darktrue View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question that will involve me to touch on something a bit personal, but here goes . So I've taken my story as far as I can via on my own, but the problem is that I sort of have a reading disorder which does interferes with my writing sometimes. I need an editor that is not going to just say "Oh, you're switching tenses in this paragraph." That's not going to help a person like me, only because I wouldn't (alone) be able to personally see where this tense change is at. Not to mention that for the money I would be paying, I could have posted my manuscript someone else have a person tell me that for free.

I need an editor that is more so for example "Oh, you're switching tenses here. I would suggest change ___ to ___ to keep the statement in past tense." So I need to know from you all which would be the best choice in terms of something like that between:
    editorial assessment, developmental editor, or a copy-editor?

I'm thinking it's more of a copy-editing thing, but I just want to be sure.
    If you want line-by-line scrutiny in great depth it would be a copy editor for sure. A copy editor is basically the most intensive editing that there is. That sounds like what you are describing...

However it needs to be said that a copy editor is not an English teacher nor are they paid to come up with any original content- that would be a ghostwriter which is a whole other beast (and pay scale). I am only saying this because often when people talk about “suggestions” or “advice” they are really expecting some form of direct assistance with the creation of content and / or mentorship which is not what editing is.

Most websites of professional, legitimate editorial firms are pretty clear about what you get in a package (it is in their interest to be) and will usually offer examples, sometimes even free consultation so if you are uncertain as to what is needed I recommend you contact them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    If you want line-by-line scrutiny in great depth it would be a copy editor for sure. A copy editor is basically the most intensive editing that there is. That sounds like what you are describing...

However it needs to be said that a copy editor is not an English teacher nor are they paid to come up with any original content- that would be a ghostwriter which is a whole other beast (and pay scale). I am only saying this because often when people talk about “suggestions” or “advice” they are really expecting some form of direct assistance with the creation of content and / or mentorship which is not what editing is.

Most websites of professional, legitimate editorial firms are pretty clear about what you get in a package (it is in their interest to be) and will usually offer examples, sometimes even free consultation so if you are uncertain as to what is needed I recommend you contact them directly.
    Thank you luckyscars for your reply. What you wrote out made it clearer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post

This is so goddamned important that I want to cheer.
    It is how I acquired proteges...they assumed that I was to help them create content, instead of improving what was there, and I had to explain the process. People don't understand what professional editing (or writing, for that matter) is. They think they can just sit down and start commanding large checks and huge audiences.
    My proteges understood, took my advice on board, and got busy creating tales that were A) Well-written and B) Fit the needs of the market. They were able to objectively self-assess instead of resorting to self-pity or bombast.

Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    Caravans Awry pre-orders -- coming Hallowe'en 2018
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx