Non fiction or online???

Non fiction or online???

Hi - Iíve just joined and looking to start writing again in 2019. My last books were published in the 1990s - is non fiction a shadow of its former self? Has non fiction moved into blogs and online articles? Or is there still a place for non fiction books?

I dont think the internet changed much of the world regarding this situation. People buy them if they like them more than fiction books, and that sort of audience exists. Some family members of mine like nonfiction books more.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Non fiction print is relatively healthy and far more profitable than fiction. Depending heavily on the subject area and your credentials, of course.

Hi Impreza,
    I'm very pleased to meet you. What kind of non-fiction? Technical? Inspirational? Biographical? Historical? All these niches are bubbling away quite nicely.

Good Luck
    BC

Hi BC - I want to write a book on being smart with money. I have no public credentials in this field but do have a clear and engaging writing style. Iím just weighing up whether to approach publishers or start a weekly blog and go from there (knowing that blogs can be monetised or turned into a book later). Iím not expecting to make my millions, just enough to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza280 View Post
    Hi BC - I want to write a book on being smart with money. I have no public credentials in this field but do have a clear and engaging writing style. I’m just weighing up whether to approach publishers or start a weekly blog and go from there (knowing that blogs can be monetised or turned into a book later). I’m not expecting to make my millions, just enough to make it worthwhile.
    If you have no relevant, verifiable credentials to what you are writing about most non-fiction publishers will not be interested unfortunately. In any case you probably can't approach many big publishers without an agent, so you would need to start there or otherwise have a way to make inroads - such as having a pre-established following or journalistic portfolio or some substantial Indie sales. While I believe non-fiction is typically less stacked against unrepresented authors than fiction is, cold calling a publisher with an unknown and unvetted book is nonetheless rarely fruitful.

There is a good video blog on Youtube by a well-regarded literary agent named Piers Blofield dissecting what makes a book worthy of consideration. While more fiction-focused he does look at non-fiction queries too and is fairly candid that a book about being smart with money that is written by somebody with no background working for, say, a well-known and respected financial institution and probably a high-level educational pedigree on the subject is likely not going to get read regardless of how enticing the topic or even how "well written" it is.

This may seem unfair but you have to bear in mind it is competitive and that most non-fiction is 100% reliant on the perceived authority of its author. That doesn't make it impossible, but you need to be honest about what you know and channel it into a reason for why you can offer a unique and sell-able perspective. Say for instance you are a four time bankrupt. If you are, you may be able to write a really good book on how to be smart with money based on what you DIDN'T do, but in which case you have to write the book from that angle.

If you happen to know anybody influential who can put in a word, that is another possibility. A friend of mine had a friend who was very high up with the CEO of a major bank and they were able to get their book on bond investments published on the basis of his recommendation. But I can't say that is a normal thing.

Assuming you lack a golden ticket to have your book given a fair hearing, you should probably pursue the blog market. There are plenty of existing blogs with existing readerships who pay for contributions. It's not much, but it's money and exposure. If you are indeed a good writer you can easily distinguish yourself through relentless output in the order of a couple cents per word and then look again at hitting the big time once you have attracted a loyal following. There are a couple of columnists I read religiously and who are now releasing major books and whom I remember reading when they were obscure as hell.

Good luck!
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

Ernest Hemingway

Hi BC - I want to write a book on being smart with money. I have no public credentials in this field but do have a clear and engaging writing style. I’m just weighing up whether to approach publishers or start a weekly blog and go from there (knowing that blogs can be monetised or turned into a book later). I’m not expecting to make my millions, just enough to make it worthwhile.
    The irony is that people who wish to read such material would probably seek it free of charge from places such as www.moneysavingexpert.com . It's certainly an interesting subject to research, but if you are looking to earn a little from it, I wonder if it might be self-defeating. Anyway, maybe treat it as a gateway to gaining an audience who may be prepared to pay for other material that you write. Perhaps money saving might do better if combined with something else such as cheap cooking, DIY repairs, DIY vehicle maintenance, growing one's own food - I'm sure the list is long. Of course, I could be writing total trash I wish you well and hope that do well from whatever path you take

Welcome to the forum! As others said above,you will probably have a difficult time convincing atraditional publisher to publish your nonfiction book about money if you don’thave sufficient credentials (or a celebrity status).

My advice would be to self-publish your future book.
    Self-publishing is not hard to and itcan be done for a reasonable amount of $$$ if you do your homework.But to convince readers to buy your future book, you will need to find somekind of hook or reason for them to take a chance on you, especially if you don’thave typical credentials related to money (e.g., CPA, certified financialplanner, lots of professional experience related to giving money advice, etc.).

My advice is to find nonfiction books that are currently onthe market and similar to what you plan to write in order to give you a generalidea of what the market is like for your future book. For example, you can find out if the marketplace for your future book is crowded or not (tons of similar books alreadyexist)?Are the books similar to yourspriced dirt cheap/free (which will make it challenging for you to make money ifyou price your book accordingly), or are they priced high (which allows you anopening if you are willing to write a book priced much lower)? Are most similar books on the marketpublished by traditional publishers (which might have a stronger presence inthe market place as a result of their well-established marketing campaigns andconnections with retailers) or are those books mostly self-published (whichmight make it a little easier for your book to compete against assuming youwrite a quality book that is marketed well)?
    In any case, I encourage you to write your book and wish youthe best of luck on it.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    proud author of:
    1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
    2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
    www.engagingcollegestudents.com

I wish you luck with your project.
    From my own, personal experiences I have found any project I do for the first time is riddled with errors and generally pants. It takes a few swings before I hit the ball and it can take a while before I smack it out of the park. Just something to think about.
    Respect
    BC

Thanks for all the really good advice - I think that blogging is the way to go - that way I have the chance to earn my own credentials