'Staying in Your Lane,' Poetic Voice, and Political Correctness - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Squalid Glass View Post
    But didn’t Mark Haddon go to great pains to say the main character in that book was not autistic and that he was not an expert on autism? I believe he said the book was just about being different, and he fought against the notion that Christopher (the MC) was on the spectrum.
    He did but many a reader have still read the autism side into the way the mc is portrayed, regardless of what the author stated. which was my point (maybe not written well ironically) even though Mark Haddon stated it was not what people believed, their own views have still coloured the text with their own context and explination, regardless of the author's original intent. I felt that the same had happend with the poem in question, audience interpretation should not (imo) be a cause to make a writter apologise for the response their writing has evoked, writing should evoke reactions.

Bay yes my views might be nieve but the fact is that publishing houses have become more inclusive of not only all ethnic groups but also towards writers of the LGBT comunity and writers with or that write about mental health as well.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying these groups aren't still being maginalised in places but I do believe that now with both traditional publishers offering more oportunites to both ethinic and LGBT writers and also the more and more popular method of self-publishing there is in my view not as many obsticles in the way for both groups to publish their own stories, as there have been in the past.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Thousand Words group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.

New Writers Bunch
    A fun group of like minded new writers.

Young WritersA place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Literary Maneuvers Coffee Shop and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post
    He did but many a reader have still read the autism side into the way the mc is portrayed, regardless of what the author stated. which was my point (maybe not written well ironically) even though Mark Haddon stated it was not what people believed, their own views have still coloured the text with their own context and explination, regardless of the author's original intent. I felt that the same had happend with the poem in question, audience interpretation should not (imo) be a cause to make a writter apologise for the response their writing has evoked, writing should evoke reactions.
    That opens up a whole other can of worms for another topic, I think. The issue of artistic intent vs. critical reaction goes beyond race. It’s an issue literary critics have been debating for over a century.

In regards to this poem, I think this issue is entirely about appropriation and its appropriateness.
    "I don't do anything with my life except romanticize and decay with indecision."

"America I've given you all and now I'm nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post

Bay yes my views might be nieve but the fact is that publishing houses have become more inclusive of not only all ethnic groups but also towards writers of the LGBT comunity and writers with or that write about mental health as well.
    They might be getting better, but they still have a hell of a long way to go. See, for example:

http://blog.leeandlow.com/2018/05/10...blishing-2018/ (Black, Latino, and Native authors combined wrote only 7% of new children's books in 2017. 31% of books published had at least some non-white characters, but obviously a lot of these books are being written by white authors)

https://www.therippedbodicela.com/si...%20%281%29.pdf (in romance, the largest genre, things actually seem to be getting worse, at least over a two year period. 7.8% of books from major romance publishers were written by authors of colour in 2016, and that fell to 6.2% in 2017. (the graphics on this site make it look pretty fluffy, but I think the data is solid))

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Squalid Glass View Post
    That opens up a whole other can of worms for another topic, I think. The issue of artistic intent vs. critical reaction goes beyond race. Itís an issue literary critics have been debating for over a century.

In regards to this poem, I think this issue is entirely about appropriation and its appropriateness.
    That might be correct but the op is about reader interpretation of the poem shaping the response of the publisher. Imo there is nothing in the poem that is offensive, racial, or in need of an aploogy to its readers other than in response to wide veiws of negativity, as one of the comments states maybe the editing staff should hbe headed by someone with a stronger backbone, one who will defend the writers work.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Thousand Words group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.

New Writers Bunch
    A fun group of like minded new writers.

Young WritersA place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Literary Maneuvers Coffee Shop and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910