So you need a book cover...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So you need a book cover...

So you need a book cover...

Just want your guys' thoughts, how do you do your book cover, do you make them yourself?
    And how much would you spend on a book cover?

I've dabbled in the art myself lately (examples below), and would consider devoting more time to it if there was actually a market for it.

Also, between the two book covers below, which do you prefer?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GardensBabylonBookCover-2 copy.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	22437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GardensBabylonBookCover-3 copy.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	22436
    Last edited by storiesandpages; July 20th, 2018 at 05:24 AM.
    My latest content:
    Hidden Content

My novel:
    Hidden Content

Is there some reason these are in .pdf format? This means that people have to download them to see them whereas a JPEG or PNG could be viewed directly inline in the post. On my phone, viewing a PDF is a huge hairy deal (also at work, downloading files is an issue).
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    Is there some reason these are in .pdf format? This means that people have to download them to see them whereas a JPEG or PNG could be viewed directly inline in the post. On my phone, viewing a PDF is a huge hairy deal (also at work, downloading files is an issue).
    As a matter of fact, yes, there is a reason. As a PDF the images are vectorized, if I were to convert them to a jpeg or png they would be aliased.
    Well, the difference is substantial and difficult to explain but suffice it to say they were meant to viewed as a PDF.
    My latest content:
    Hidden Content

My novel:
    Hidden Content

Slick covers. Cool colors and contrast.
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

Quote Originally Posted by storiesandpages View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes, there is a reason. As a PDF the images are vectorized, if I were to convert them to a jpeg or png they would be aliased.
    Well, the difference is substantial and difficult to explain but suffice it to say they were meant to viewed as a PDF.
    Or you could produce them as vector graphics, scale as appropriate and make jpgs of the source file.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_C View Post
    Or you could produce them as vector graphics, scale as appropriate and make jpgs of the source file.
    Whoahhh.. beyond my skills I'm afraid haha.
    My latest content:
    Hidden Content

My novel:
    Hidden Content

I'll be making my own covers. No reason why not.

I prefer the first one as it has less illustration. The second one's trying to punch above it's weight.

[QUOTE=storiesandpages;2173869]Just want your guys' thoughts, how do you do your book cover, do you make them yourself?
    And how much would you spend on a book cover?

I've dabbled in the art myself lately (examples below), and would consider devoting more time to it if there was actually a market for it.

Also, between the two book covers below, which do you prefer?

Doesn't even download on my phone.
    Last edited by PiP; July 19th, 2018 at 10:07 PM.

I could post them as jpegs if you'd like.
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Underd0g View Post
    I could post them as jpegs if you'd like.
    Thanks, you can if you want but I don't think it's necessary. PDF is basically a universal format.
    My latest content:
    Hidden Content

My novel:
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast