Salutations, one and all!

Salutations, one and all!

Greetings! I'm a run-of-the-mill British graduate-to-be who studied a joint Creative Writing-History degree at the University of Chichester. My passion and experience of writing fiction extend back to when I was a wee lad in primary school. My favoured genre is science fiction, in particular the cyberpunk sub-genre and grimdark (think the likes of Warhammer 40,000) - I've been told I'm good at incorporating dark and/or bawdy humour into my works. The length of my pieces bend more towards the novel and novella, but I have dabbled in short fiction, sonnets and the occasional haiku before. I have also written prose for a collaborative sci-fi universe on online forum NationStates, dubbed the Frencoverse, which has been going (and is still thriving) for four years.

As you may have guessed, I love writing. A lot. Why else would I dig myself into 21,000 of tuition fee debt?

My other great joys are reading and playing video games. My favourite authors are H.G. Wells and H.P. Lovecraft, with my favourite works of theirs being, respectively, The War of the Worlds and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. Video game-wise, I typically play RimWorld, Project Zomboid, Arma 3 and the occasional round of PAYDAY 2. Did I also mention I'm a huge fan of Star Wars?

I strive to maintain a high degree of quality in my works, and thrive off of critique and constructive criticism, often demanding blunt, brutal honesty when I do (no pain, no gain!). As a result, I'm looking forward to working alongside my fellow writers on this forum, and I hope you will be entertained by the works I will/have compose(d)!
    Last edited by The Carcosan Herald; July 12th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! I am going to call you Herald! I too am a Star Wars fan right from the first. Went to see the first movie about once a week for as long as it played in our local theater! I'd've gone every day, but didn't work out for me at the time.

I don't write sci fi, but I read it and watch it, so can relate at least a little bit. Looking forward to seeing what you do once you have those nine other posts done up.

I didn't fork out that much for my writing education. I too, began writing early on; in fact, learning to read and write were the only reasons I was eager to go to school. When I found out I was supposed to learn all that other stuff as well, I was floored. A writer needs math, science, and all that other unimportant stuff? Really?! Did spend for a couple decent home study courses though. The rest came from practice, practice, practice.

You are in good company here for probably the majority is into the Sci fi, fantasy, paranormal genre. Check out our sections for those here: https://www.writingforums.com/forums...-Fi-and-Horror.

I like your attitude toward critiques. You should do well with such a thick skin. I'm still forming one; one layer at a time! I don't want kid gloves, but I don't want to be beaten bloody into the ground, either. Honesty with tact will suit me best.

I am also a fan of cookies; my son's chocolate chip ones being my very favorite. So, have a cookie and some drinkage, and follow us around the place! Have fun!
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet Anonymous
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Anita M Shaw View Post
    Welcome, welcome, welcome! I am going to call you Herald! I too am a Star Wars fan right from the first. Went to see the first movie about once a week for as long as it played in our local theater! I'd've gone every day, but didn't work out for me at the time.

I don't write sci fi, but I read it and watch it, so can relate at least a little bit. Looking forward to seeing what you do once you have those nine other posts done up.

I didn't fork out that much for my writing education. I too, began writing early on; in fact, learning to read and write were the only reasons I was eager to go to school. When I found out I was supposed to learn all that other stuff as well, I was floored. A writer needs math, science, and all that other unimportant stuff? Really?! Did spend for a couple decent home study courses though. The rest came from practice, practice, practice.

You are in good company here for probably the majority is into the Sci fi, fantasy, paranormal genre. Check out our sections for those here: https://www.writingforums.com/forums...-Fi-and-Horror.

I like your attitude toward critiques. You should do well with such a thick skin. I'm still forming one; one layer at a time! I don't want kid gloves, but I don't want to be beaten bloody into the ground, either. Honesty with tact will suit me best.

I am also a fan of cookies; my son's chocolate chip ones being my very favorite. So, have a cookie and some drinkage, and follow us around the place! Have fun!
    I've already got a few works lined up, along with some planned collaborative pieces in the coming months. Should be plenty to look forward to.

Also, heh heh heh... I remember the relief of eventually leaving secondary school for college. No more algebra, ever! Hurrah!

As for my stance on critiques, I'd obviously rather avoid a critical smackdown, though at the same time I don't expect (nor want) them to hold back if my writing really is that bad. Only by identifying what's holding us back and rectifying it can we hope to progress!

And finally, cookies and hot beverages are always good, so you have my thanks for both that and the warm welcome!

I occasionally have that feeling of , I wish I could go back to this point . . . school of any year after second grade, but especially high school . . . and knowing what I know now . . . Of course they say things wouldn't be any different, but it's all theory because, of course, we can't go back. But going back with this knowledge, I would at least know that I am ADD, have issues not with shyness, but with depression at that age with anxiety issues - which haven't departed, and I would start all my stories way sooner and get them all completed.

I would also know that some of the guys teased me, not necessarily out of meanness, but because they actually had an interest. Found that tidbit out years later when I met the wife of a guy I'd gone to school with. I told her that her hubby had been one of those harassing me, though not quite to the extent of some of the others. She took our conversation home to him, and he set her straight on it. Even told her which of the guys had actually liked me. Darn! One of them I'd had a crush on for years! So, yes, I think some things would've been quite different!

Cookies and hot beverages, cold ones, too, are always available! I wish I could find the popcorn popper. Although, a good wok will work even better . . .
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Anita M Shaw View Post
    I occasionally have that feeling of , I wish I could go back to this point . . . school of any year after second grade, but especially high school . . . and knowing what I know now . . . Of course they say things wouldn't be any different, but it's all theory because, of course, we can't go back. But going back with this knowledge, I would at least know that I am ADD, have issues not with shyness, but with depression at that age with anxiety issues - which haven't departed, and I would start all my stories way sooner and get them all completed.

I would also know that some of the guys teased me, not necessarily out of meanness, but because they actually had an interest. Found that tidbit out years later when I met the wife of a guy I'd gone to school with. I told her that her hubby had been one of those harassing me, though not quite to the extent of some of the others. She took our conversation home to him, and he set her straight on it. Even told her which of the guys had actually liked me. Darn! One of them I'd had a crush on for years! So, yes, I think some things would've been quite different!

Cookies and hot beverages, cold ones, too, are always available! I wish I could find the popcorn popper. Although, a good wok will work even better . . .
    As someone who's lived with the various pleasures and displeasures of high-functioning ASD, I just might be able to relate. If given an opportunity to do so, I probably would rectify the myriad mistakes I made in my own past, and there's no question I'd be better off. Though I don't normally like to think I could change it, because what's happened has happened, and we live with the consequences of our actions (or lack thereof; YMMV). I find that there's not much use in dwelling on the past, so instead I treat earlier mistakes as lessons to learn from, and apply them to the future. Probably why I tend to write sci-fi.

Hi Herald and welcome to our group. From what I have read, you will fit right in. It's hard to say what the best part of this site is, but I think you will find the writing discussion very enlightening and robust. We argue sometimes, but its all for the sake of our art. I hope to see some of your work, and my critiques are not brutal, but hopefully helpful. We have a current prompt comp going on right now, so after your ten posts, feel free to participate. If not this month, there is one every month, with suggestions for prompts from members. Here's a link: https://www.writingforums.com/thread...Boys-Don-t-Cry. Again, welcome!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    Cool! Welcome to the Forum. And as Sue says, why not come by the Literary Manouevers monthly comp and get your grimdark on?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

so instead I treat earlier mistakes as lessons to learn from, and apply them to the future. Probably why I tend to write sci-fi.
    Yep, not much else we can do, right?! I tend to apply a lot of it to my stories. Nothing bad ever happens to a writer . . . always a story in there somewhere!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content