Potential problems with an extremely high birthrate.

Potential problems with an extremely high birthrate.

If the handmaid's tale takes place in a world with an extremely low birthrate, what would it look like in a world with an abnormally high birthrate?

I'm brainstorming a story where every act of unprotected sex results in pregnancy, and most protected sex results in the same thing! Virtually all women of childbearing age are stuck in pregnancy after pregnancy and multiples are shockingly common. All the associated problems with carrying a pregnancy to term and childbirth are still there, and abortions are illegal on top of this. Men cannot seem to contain their "Supersperm" and feel no need to stop having sex with so many women, so the birthrates continue to skyrocket.

Pregnancies aside, I'm not sure what an extreme surplus of babies would result in for the rest of this world. I plan to make it a result of a disease outbreak, so the population boom is a relatively recent event. It first started about five years ago, so the first wave of "Supersperm babies" are still very young.

What would happen in a world where babies outnumber adults?
    Somewhere... Beyond the sea...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcat View Post
    If the handmaid's tale takes place in a world with an extremely low birthrate, what would it look like in a world with an abnormally high birthrate?

I'm brainstorming a story where every act of unprotected sex results in pregnancy, and most protected sex results in the same thing! Virtually all women of childbearing age are stuck in pregnancy after pregnancy and multiples are shockingly common. All the associated problems with carrying a pregnancy to term and childbirth are still there, and abortions are illegal on top of this. Men cannot seem to contain their "Supersperm" and feel no need to stop having sex with so many women, so the birthrates continue to skyrocket.

Pregnancies aside, I'm not sure what an extreme surplus of babies would result in for the rest of this world. I plan to make it a result of a disease outbreak, so the population boom is a relatively recent event. It first started about five years ago, so the first wave of "Supersperm babies" are still very young.

What would happen in a world where babies outnumber adults?
    A few things come to mind.

Look to real places where babies and young children outnumber the adults. Orphanages of the past, is one example. Many children died. Most of neglect or just failure to thrive. Humans need social interaction. Modern daycare centers are another place. While more children live than the orphanages of old, violence and narcissism are increasing, possibly as a result of the lack of adult interaction when they were young.

Another thing that popped to mind was the women rebelling and beginning to kill the men in order to stop the pregnancies.

I can't see a scientific way for "supersperm" to counter all forms of birth control, though. Barrier methods can fail, but that failure isn't caused by the sperm. It would have to be that they are no longer being manufactured. Pills do not really prevent conception. They just interfere with the progress of the pregnancy. Then there's the morning-after pill. That, too, doesn't prevent pregnancy, just blocks progress of it. So these, too, would have to no longer be manufactured.

That makes the situation social and political, not natural. Which increases the women's anger, making some kind of backlash likely.

Some things to think about.