What could be a weakness for this character? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    Dont think too much or no writing will happen because you become distracted and cant focus. Writing is best done with silence and without any diatractions. Just like reading and studying.
    Each one of us has a sweet spot, as it were. It is the responsibility of the writer to identify his/her sweet spot.

For me, I work and learn best with noise and activity around me, while moving around or walking, and generally breaking the traditional rule of "sit in a quiet place".

There was a study I read about last week that showed that procrastinating can actually improve productivity!

I'm not saying everyone should procrastinate or have distractions around. I am saying that expecting others to have the same sweet spot is misguided. I think we should show a little more faith that the OP will find his/her own way in the journey to being a writer.

It's true that happens because there are different learning styles. Some people learn better with music, some with silence. I have some faith the op will be motivated, that's what probably the most important thing. He has intrinsic motivation. Like most people, he probably writes out of passion. I was actually trying to help maybe my tone wasn't encouraging. I apologize for that.

I myself procrastinate a lot. I fit into this description.

I can help encourage. It's what I have been trying to do. I identify with having difficulty with getting ideas. It happens to me.

As for the story I am writing, it went through that phase. Since I sometimes have messaged you about writing stories. I think I know what you truly mean. I didn't want to be misinterpreted. But it happens.

I found a decent book for inspiration and for people beginning writing today. "The Character Arc" (by Jeanie Jarvis)/(my newest purchase) might be worth reading if art3mis is interested. It inspired me, and now I know how to structure my story. Goals, wants, and needs are explained, as well as tactics. It's ten dollars, and won't set art3mis back much. I hope this was helpful. I didn't mean to sound very critical. Just repeating what others have said to a degree, to see what method works best for art3mis I don't know. I have the same goals in mind as you.

Almost always a beginning writers' journey is slow. I am probably going to buy a poetry book as well by the end of this month. I have been meaning too for a long time. It helps with writing stories, and my description has been lacking. In case anyone wants to know what it is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0472033646...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Also, science fiction can be difficult to write. Which is why I am focusing on a character based fantasy story for starting a story. This member needs to sign up to a journal of science, or get a reputable source of science news that is cited by research. I suggest nature if it is not expensive, maybe new scientist is not a bad choice. I am always in doubt since editors don't give much opinions on their favorite science journals. That is if they want to have science that is accurate, and it also helps with plot ideas.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; July 12th, 2018 at 03:50 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

There is soooo much new science all the time! Keeping up to date when writing scifi can be an exhausting undertaking.

Who is she protecting the planet from? Is it possible she could have ties to the "other side" that could cloud her judgement?

She's a doctor. Does she refuse to kill - first do no harm?

@Jonthom she is protecting the planet from evil aliens. And by the second thought: I don’t know. – I believe it would be better if it’s made by the enemy.

So is she an army medic? You said she's trying to protect earth.

Is there anyone she's close to who could become blackmail material - do what we say or we'll kill your parent/partner/goat?

You don’t need a formula nearly as much as a good story. Concentrate on that first. Just go ahead and get the story down. If you get hung up on details, wrestle with them then. But don’t start out wrestling with an ill-defined problem—that will hinder the process.
    Publisher of the Durham Skywriter (http://www.durhamskywriter.com), Durham NC's online community paper, and host of TV Skywriter, Sundays 7pm USA Eastern time, on YouTube and Google+'s "patriciaAmurray" page. Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home"

She has a one-track mind regarding Earth. Everything she says, thinks, and does relates to her desire to protect Earth. This leads her to an uber-Utilitarian philosophy where she's willing to screw over the entire universe just to save Earth. Eventually it devolves into her just being a knight templar for a vague concept of 'Earth,' making everything worse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12