What can I brainstorm next?

What can I brainstorm next?

I wanna write a novel series, which is a mix of Georg Orwellís 1984 and Kiera Cassís The Selection. And I know that the first step is brainstorming. I brainstormed both topics. But I havenít any idea what I can brainstorm else. I got those both topics, I got the setting, I got the genre and time. Do you have any idea what I can brainstorm next?

Quote Originally Posted by Art3mis View Post
    I wanna write a novel series, which is a mix of Georg Orwellís 1984 and Kiera Cassís The Selection. And I know that the first step is brainstorming. I brainstormed both topics. But I havenít any idea what I can brainstorm else. I got those both topics, I got the setting, I got the genre and time. Do you have any idea what I can brainstorm next?
    The characters. Let's go through the questions.Who does what? When and where does this happen? Why does the what happen? How does everyone react? And how does the MC get the situation resolved? What is that resolution?That ought to get you started.

You should really stop fantasising about a novel series and start doing something more approachable, like 50-word flash fiction. After you've written a couple of dozen of those, start with short stories. After you've written a couple of hundred of those, start with a novel. After you write a dozen novels and publish one, then start thinking about a novel series. If you invest yourself, this will take you 10 to 15 years.

What you should not do is jump on a forum after every reverie as if you've had a revelation. That's counter-productive. You probably have a scene or two come to you which you think is cool and you immediately think you can write a series of novels. Sit down and at least write a 100 word flash fiction of your parasite story, or your vampire story and post it on the forum. I bet you'll be hard-pressed to churn out even those 100 words let alone a series of novels before you change your mind to some other idea, like a werewolf in his teens or something.

So, yeah, start with small, manageable bites or else you'll just keep choking.

(Raises hand...) Do we get detention if we don't hand in ideas, considering this come perilously close to sounding like: What should I think next...Sorry, but asking the forum to provide all ideas and supporting concepts is not writing, it is basically like buying one's term paper.

Writing is akin to having a plant or a pet. It requires attention and care, something that is part of a routine, routine that takes trial and error to develop. Take time, water the plant, or in this case develop the idea that is part of the writer's job.

And to answer the question: You can brainstorm anything. There is no master list saying, no brainstorming ideas A - ZZ.

If coming up with a workable story idea is an issue consider pairing with a MENTOR. Set a realistic writing goal and work with an idea independently for a few days before saying: I have all the details except, characters, conflict, and plot, can someone tell me what these should be. We tell you, it is no longer your idea, your story. A setting is not a story, it is merely a place.

The directory is here.

Also, if there is a need for more brainstorming, consider maintaining a dedicated thread strictly for that purpose instead of starting numerous threads with concepts that essentially ask the same questions. Many other forums have issues with such practices because it monopolises resources. It is akin to cutting in line. It doesn't hurt anything, but it is frowned upon. The creative forums have limits of two threads posted per member in a 24 hour period to prevent forum flooding. It is a solid rule of thumb.

Forums like WF are also growing increasingly rare because they depend on the contributions of time and effort of their members. It is a system of give and take. Most members offer just as much as they take, but there are some who make posts after post expecting replies and critique, and offer nothing in return. Those who offer something back usually see a reciprication in the quality replies they receive.
    Last edited by Darkkin; July 11th, 2018 at 03:21 AM.

The difference between a writer and a dreamer is that a writer actually writes.