Advice needed! - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice needed!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Key word is deliberately. The priority is finding what fits for the story. This is of course not a question for anybody other than the writer, as has been repeatedly underscored in the thread. I merely offered what I think and illustrated my reasoning.
    So, let me get this straight. You were recommending that the author limit the number of supporting characters, but not deliberately. Then how? Haphazardly? Accidentally? How does one knowingly limit something without it being deliberate?

I would not limit the characters, they just need to be introduced & developed properly, but 8 is not an impossible number at all (worked in Hateful Eight).
    As Luckyscars indicated, it would make it a 60-80k word book minimum...which really isn't all that much. I have sneezed bigger than that.
    The trick with a book like this (with 8 major characters) is just to take your time and be as verbose and wordy as you damned well please. Segue whenever you feel the need, but build them [the characters] well.
    Don't get in a rush to tell the story.
    Trim the excess fat later, doubleback every 100 pages to ensure your characters are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    So, let me get this straight. You were recommending that the author limit the number of supporting characters, but not deliberately. Then how? Haphazardly? Accidentally? How does one knowingly limit something without it being deliberate?
    I was not recommending anything. I do not make recommendations without knowing the work. Like everybody else, I was pointing out my own feelings and explaining them in a general fashion.

If the story needs seven major characters, or seventeen, or seventy, or seven hundred, that is up to its author's judgment. There are great books featuring a 50+ characters and there are appalling books featuring one. There is however a high degree of correlation between the number of characters and the time and creative energy required to write them well. More characters tends to mean a more complex plot and therefore a greater tendency for plot holes. It also tends to mean less character development, a kind of descent into avatars.

I want to draw your attention back to the fact I am generalizing - - just like you are. However, unless you would like to say that needless complexity is somehow worth striving for I am not sure what the confusion is. Most beginner writers would find a simple story with fewer characters easier to write and, perhaps most crucially, finish. In much the same way that polar explorers tended to travel to the south pole in as straight a line as possible I think it is important that a writer always chooses the most direct route to the destination that does not compromise the impact of the work. You may disagree.
    "All good books have one thing in common - they are truer than if they had really happened."

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123