Gauging the credibility of free, paying markets?

Gauging the credibility of free, paying markets?

I’ve never entered a short story contest before (or published any of my work) however I’ve been considering entering my most recent piece into a free but credible short story contest or even submitting it to publications for compensation. Unfortunately, I don’t know the first thing about judging said outlets’ credibility.

Apparently, [website name removed by admin] is a good resource for what I’m after, but again...I’m concerned about handing out the content of my work to just anyone to pinch up for their own profit and leave me out to dry.

I don’t know what the legalities are when it comes to protecting your work, but I’d like to know how those of you who’ve entered competitions and/or submitted your works to publications go about the process. And what are the most credible free contests?
    Last edited by PiP; July 8th, 2018 at 09:33 AM.

Does anyone have any credible resources?