Thoughts - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts

I know and I’m working on the obsession of it. There is a level of expectation, I feel, in what is posted, that the readers expect. That will vary based on the reader, forum it’s posted in and the writer.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

NO
    You must write first and foremost for you!
    If you start to imagine what readers or forum want, you get hopelessly stuck.

I agree but I was referring to the quality not the content. Reduced or no spelling, punctuation or grammar issues. Yes, I write for myself but the rules sometimes get in my way. EE Cummings didn’t worry about it and it worked.

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

​Virgil

Cummings, Shakespeare, Tate, Darwish, everyone has their own style. Some use rhyme, some don't some write metrical, others don't. Some use punctuation, I do not.
    Just write your own way and don't worry too much. Write first, improve and edit later, that's how we all learn and work

Okay and thanks.

​Virgil

Exactly what Darren said.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to create Poetry Hill. Every creative writer should feel an absolute freedom to express the way they feel, and this place is all about that. In this thread, you asked about the grammar and we tried to answer but, in truth, we should really be talking about what you are striving to express. If a poem isn't clear to the reader, we can let you know and maybe come up with ways to make your message more accessible, but we ought to be working with the poem from the starting point of the message, not the grammar, format or any other subjective restraint.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Poetry Hill where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

My Poems

If you’ve noticed, I haven’t posted in the poetry thread in a while. The reason is my percieved expectations of the quality(SP&G). Is it as bad as I think, maybe not. The quality of my poetry isn’t an issue in that. I don’t want SPaG
    to hide or distract from my poem, in what I percieve as a thread having a higher level of expectations.
    I definitively remember my first few poems there and the reaction/comments they generated. To me, the message of my poem was lost, maybe burried is better, because of technical issues. I can except a clarity issue, that’s related to style and or technique.

I am a good poet, possibly very good and I will become better.

​Virgil

If you want to present your poems with good grammar and spelling, why not post them here first and allow us to edit the punctuation and spelling? If this would help to get your poems into the form that you want them to be I'd be glad to help.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Poetry Hill where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

My Poems

Which I have and will continue to do. You've all been so helpful and supportive.

​Virgil

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12