A better dichotomy than 'show vs tell' - Enabling vs Disabling - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A better dichotomy than 'show vs tell' - Enabling vs Disabling

I might be a good year late, but this is so interesting that I want to share my thoughts.

I can see both sides of the spectrum in terms of feeling success and failure whenever someone "rewrites" my work. On one hand, success is seeing people spawning off their fanfiction (which I'm an avid writer of) because the world is absolutely amazing to them. The world you give is their playground and the less detail there is, the more they can fill it with their own ideas, flourishing the life of the world even more (or destroying it if someone isn't too good at making current worlds flourish). Some people may even create AUs (alternate universes) so they can have the same concept and probably the same Canon characters from one world join their characters.

On the other hand, if someone creates AUs and doesn't share the same dream I held for my characters for the future (something I have done, thankfully without anybody knowing about it, to a certain anime character who had a love interest I swapped out with my original character), I would feel like I failed in that regard. My audience took my world and began to dump hot garbage on it and if my work ends up getting massively popular, more and more people will become obsessed and will eventually take my future canon works as noncanon because it doesn't agree with the view they hold in their head (also known as a headcanon).

Though, I have always seen the third option to the success and failure routes: simply sharing my ideas.

If I try to put merit on my work, I will work hard to make it as best as I can. I know there will always be a good portion of people who won't like my style or my work, but if I can get a following, that's good. However, thinking like a competitor can turn stories into half-baked pieces that seem like masterpieces until you bite into it. But if I don't put merit in my work and just share my ideas with the world, then I won't feel obligated to be better than this author or get the largest following or to have the least amount of people hate my style/work. I'm still me, unaffected by the throes of opinions and headcanons and alternate universes and fanfiction and fanart that come my way. I want my audience to be enabled, or engaged, or inspired, by taking my story and spawning new ones. Better ones. Create the next generation of writers, even if they only stick to fanfiction, fanart, headcanons, or alternate universes. Because when enabling people to take your work and reform it into something that others may like, they are at least spreading your idea, which may inspire more people down the line. It's a fantastic domino effect.

Disabling them also makes the world your story is based on more concrete. This is good in and of itself, as people won't be confused with how laws of physics work, as well as other kinds of topics. Though, it may breed warriors of the concrete facts of the world building who will fight any and all who oppose the story's main rules, regardless if it's an AU or not. Enabling them may create the same people, but more so on what they believe it should be. They may use their headcanons to further what they believe happens in the story, when in actuality it may not come true and their world may come crumbling down.

But that's the way the cookie crumbles. I think the enabling vs disabling thing is a good idea. It helps readers (myself included) understand how to write stories. There will always be a bad outcome no matter what happens or what you do, but hope that the good outweighs the bad. Or else you may have indeed done something wrong. What the "bad outcome" may be is for all of you to decide yourself. :3 Like what I did there?

Is it a better one, or just another rule to be ignored - Personally, I don't think that much (actually, I can't, I'm intellectually challenged), it may well show, but I have a more peaceful life, and I sleep better for not worrying about the minutiae. I merely want it to say what I mean and mean what I say - Now where have I heard that before?
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12