Literal Poetry - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Literal Poetry

Originally Posted by DarrenI write because the word 'snow' are four letters, but has a world of meaning, Snow is just a word invented to indicate things falling down. Blossom snows, snowflakes snow, my feelings snow, slowly fluttering to the ground in a heartbreaking manner. That's why I write, because these very few letters open up worlds and I already do that for as long as I can remember.

Thank you, Darren. You've led me to a story I'd like to share.

I forget the name of the poem which was up for discussion but recall the teacher asking what "snow" meant in its context. I said that it represented "death" because it buries the ground. Finally, my ability to abstract was recognized, validated.

Like you, I had always been a metaphorical thinker but payed a price for it when in 3rd grade, attending parochial school. While the Sister was recounting the miracle at the wedding at Cana where Jesus turned water into wine, I raised my hand and proudly stated that I did not think it was a miracle. It was just that Jesus made people feel so good that the water tasted like wine. I was scolded and told to sit down.

Still, I could not help myself the next day when she got to the "Multiplying of Bread". It means "sharing", I said. Straight away, I was sent straight to the Mother Superior's Office for committing Blasphemy. She called for my parents to pick me up and I was grounded for a week. The only sin committed was attempting to stifle a child's mind. What a futility.

Snow, Wine, Bread - Yes, such simple words. Everyday tangibles turned into the intangible has and will always be my world to open up other ones.
    Last edited by SilverMoon; August 26th, 2018 at 11:04 PM.
    "Someone told me that I write good. I thanked them and said they had very well taste" S~

VOTE! November 6th
    .................................................. .................................................. .

You have a beautiful way of thinking, SilverMoon and I'm so glad that your 'teachers' didn't stifle your creative take on the world. To have an empathy with the essence of all things is a great gift and should always be celebrated. It is that gift of original thought that makes us capable of invention and artistic creation.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Hidden Content where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

Hidden Content

Darren -- you picked an interesting word to illustrate your point! Embracing the "eskimo" language (Alaska) and the four Inuit languages (Canada and Greenland) one respected study out of Princeton U. indicates that because of the incredibly delicate inflectional nuances in these languages, differences in meaning and sound should be measured in lexemes, not necessarily words. Words are so precisely nuanced that they actually become metaphors, in a very real sense.

As a child Silvermoon did not understand that the EXPECTED "meaning" for particular words was the metaphor, so when she reversed it to the literal "meaning", ipso facto she was debunking the myth! Returning to 'snow': apparently, inflections of some words in Native languages are SO delicate--bordering on imperceptible to non-native speakers--that the inflections of Chinese dialects are ham-handed by comparison. The Navajo code-talkers of WW II succeeded, I think throughout the war, in completely baffling highly trained Japanese code-breakers, who never did figure out even the basics of Navajo pronunciation. I've spent time in the Canadian Arctic and I've heard Inuit talking among themselves: it sounds like someone clearing a particularly 'gobby' thick amount of phlegm from the throat and mouth. A quick example of how precise it can be: dogs and sleds are still used in some areas. Snow CONDITIONS are critical--if the snow is a particular way, the dogs must be fitted with booties, or visibility will make hunting impossible, or the snow cannot be cut into blocks for 'igloos', or water will form on the surface of the snow or.....or.....or...…? Precise inflections of a base word provide the info, info which at extreme winter temperatures can mean life or death.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"Coleridge would let go by a fine isolated verisimilitude caught from the penetralium of mystery, because of an irritable reaching after fact and reason." Keats, Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234