Literary Maneuvers July 2018 - Dead Boys Don't Cry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Literary Maneuvers July 2018 - Dead Boys Don't Cry

LITERARY MANEUVERS

Dead Boys Don't Cry

July 2018

Welcome to Literary Maneuvers, our monthly fictive showdown, where you write to a prompt chosen and voted on by our members, or in the event of an extreme tie, decided by stochastic forces. The winner will receive a badge pinned to their profile and given a month’s access to FoWF where you’ll have access to hidden forums and use of the chat room.

This is a fiction writing competition, and the prompt for this month is 'Dead Boys Don't Cry'. Pick your own title, write about whatever you want, in whatever prose style, as long as it's related in some way to the prompt. You decide the best way in which to dazzle your readers.

The Judges for this LM are forum staffer Plasticweld, force of Global Moderation H.Brown, comp alumnus/published writer SueC - and you? Sign up for judging by PM or in the coffee shop. If you want to judge and I left you out, send me your scores by the deadline. If you're listed here and don't wish to judge, let me know at once (please).

All entries that wish to retain their first rights should post in the LM Workshop Thread.

All Judges scores will be PMed to bdcharles

All anonymous entries will be PMed to bdcharles

Lastly, why not check out this ancient text on how to best approach this task.

Rules

• All forum rules apply. The LM competition is considered a creative area of the forum. If your story contains inappropriate language or content, do not forget add a disclaimer or it could result in disciplinary actions taken. Click here for the full list of rules and guidelines of the forum.
    • No Poetry! Nothing against you poets out there, but this isn’t a place for your poems. Head on over to the poetry challenges for good competition over there. Some of us fiction people wouldn’t be able to understand your work! Click here for the poetry challenges. Play the prose-poem game at your own risk.
    • No posts that are not entries into the competition are allowed. If you have any questions, concerns, or wish to take part in discussion please head over to the LM Coffee Shop. We’ll be glad to take care of your needs over there.
    • Editing your entry after posting isn’t allowed. You’ll be given a ten minute grace period, but after that your story may not be scored.
    • Only one entry per member.
    • The word limit is 650 words not including the title. If you go over - Your story will not be counted. Microsoft Word is the standard for checking this. If you are unsure of the word count and don't have Word, please send your story to me and I'll check it for you.

There are a few ways to post your entry:

1. If you aren't too concerned about your first rights, then you can simply post your entry here in this thread.
    2. You can opt to have your entry posted in the Workshop which is a special thread just for LM entries. You would put your story there if you wish to protect your first rights, in case you wish to have the story published one day. Note: If you do post it in the workshop thread, you must post a link to it here in this thread otherwise your story may not be counted.
    3. You may post your story anonymously. To do so, send your story to the host of the competition. If you wish to have us post it in the workshop thread then say so. Your name will be revealed upon the release of the score.

Everyone is welcome to participate. A judge's entry will receive a review by their fellow judges, but it will not receive a score. Please refrain from 'like'-ing or 'lol'-ing an entry until the scores are posted.

Judges: In the tradition of LM competitions of yore, if you could send the scores one week after deadline it will ensure a timely release of scores and minimize the overall implementation of porkforking*. Please see the Judging Guidelines if you have questions. Following the suggested formatting will be much appreciated, too.

This competition will close on:
    Saturday, the 21st July at 11:59:59 PM, BST time. (Not the 19th as stated earlier)

Scores would be appreciated by the last day of the current month, at the latest, pretty please, cherry on top, mmm?

Click here for the current time.

*whatever that is
    Last edited by bdcharles; July 16th, 2018 at 10:45 PM.

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I ... Manage (language ... and other things)
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

A boy and a shadow

"Remember back when you cried constantly in front of Hope?", a small child like voice in his head reminded him:"When you finally saw in her eyes how you ceased being a man in her heart?". A quiet angry grunt proclaimed affirmation. The voice continued:"And what about the feeling of hopelessness and being powerless to help her? You didn't have the means to whisk her away from her family which didn't appreciate her. All you could do is run about, buying books for her entry exam into nursing school, hoping that your doubts about her willingess to even come to you are false. And even that failed with that school's headmistress's ban for her to even apply. You couldn't do anything!". The boy was laying still in his bed listening to the voice, paralyzed. "And what then? You failed a year in college because of an oversight in planning. You studied like mad and yet you failed because you didn't stop and simply assess the situation. All because you were crying over not being able to help Hope. Oh, but it doesn't end there! Then you cracked under pressure like a craven coward and broke up with her.". The boy mumbled a response:"She wanted it too, but was afraid to tell me to my face.", but the voice retorted:"Yes, she did. She already had a substitude man ready to jump in if you left her. That's how much you were able to make her happy, you moron!".

A deep growl started in the boy's belly but on its way to his mouth it almost turned into a whimper. "Oh, you're gonna cry now again!?", the voice screamed."You're pathetic! You can't even get angry properly withouth bursting into tears!", it continued, but the boy fought back:"Where are my tears now then? I ain't crying.". The voice didn't relent:"Well you should be! You've even failed your own mother! She doesn't even have enough until the end of the month and needs to scrape by your grandfather who's half dead already. And even still he helps more than you!". The boy turned on his side placing his hands below his head, but for a moment it looked like he was going to cramp into a fetal position. "I tried, you know! I went on that job interview! Passed all their tests!" he pleaded. But the voice would have none of it:"And they rejected you because you couldn't make a good impression if your life depended on it!".

The boy got up to eat something. He took jam and started spreading it over slices of bread with a plastic spoon. But the voice came back:"And even today you've failed that exam because of a small mistake, which means you might graduate later. Mother will struggle even longer because of your stupidity. You're worthless.". The boy screamed at the top of his lungs trying to silence the voice, but he lost control of his right arm which held the spoon. The arm lashed out at his throat and cut wide over it. Luckily, the spoon couldn't cut even butter let alone his thick neck. He calmed down and his mind went back to that moment when he lost control. The boy realized he didn't control his arm back then. It was the little boy inside him that took over, the little boy who always wanted to make others happy and who cried in pain when he failed to do so. He could feel the little boy crying in him after the slash. He then laid down on his bed again and put his hand over his heart, trying to hug that little boy inside:"And look what you'd have done, made mom sad and kill her hopes for the future. Please cry, because that means you care and that you will grow strong enough to help those you love, one day. Dead boys can't cry...".
    "But to put your foot on the throat of tyranny,
    to bring it to the knowledge of right law,
    t'is the most sacred human duty!"

Njegoš - The Hill Garland ( Gorski Vijenac )

Amateur Hour (625 words - I think)

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    sigmadog.com

"So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast