Color Me Curious

Thread: Color Me Curious

Color Me Curious

Color Me Curious
    by Underd0g

I watched my young daughter sit quietly, coloring at the dining room table. As I looked over her shoulder I found myself impulsively commenting:

"You should stay inside the lines."

"Why?", she queried.

"Because this is an exercise in coordination."

"Why?", she asked.

"Because when you are young, you need to learn certain skills to enable you to grow and mature and learn even new skills."

"Why?", it came once again.

"Because life does not stop at coloring. Soon you will need to develop more abilities. After this you will be learning to read and work math problems."

"Why?"

"Because life doesn't allow you to march to beat of your own drum. One of the rules is that you have to advance. We need structure. There are rules and they are strictly enforced. If you go outside those lines then there are people who will punish you."

"Why?"

"Because people can be narrow minded and they feel threatened by artists and those who think outside the box."

"Why?"

"Because they think that if you do it your own way that society will break down; that ultimately chaos will overtake civilization and it will cause havoc and destruction."

"Why?"

"Because that's how they've interpreted the fall of so many civilizations before this one."

"Why?"

"Because the victors of conflicts, the people who vanquish the previous civilization, are the ones who write history. They slant the history books to favor their side."

"Why?"

"Because they are the ones who have the power and control. Anybody who disputed what they said were imprisoned or killed. So it's important to be able to read and research so you can know what is true and what is deception. This takes practice and experience. You have little of either. Do you even know what the 25th letter of the alphabet is?"

"Y."

"Very good."
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

I enjoyed this! I didn't notice anything jarring. The vocabulary seemed a little advanced to use with a child, at times, but maybe the child would keep coming back with "why" instead of asking for words to be explained. Either way, it was enjoyable.

Ha, yeah thanks, my intent was to juxtaposition and represent a playful interaction with a father and daughter, knowing that the whole conversation went over her head.
    I picture the daughter not listening at all.
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.