How to create a (clichéd) romance plot - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to create a (clichéd) romance plot

Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    In media res is fine as long as it's not the middle of the ROMANCE. It's fine to start in the middle of some action and carry on from there, but you shouldn't start in the middle of the RELATIONSHIP, generally.

And I think of "intellectualism" as being placing primacy on the brain rather than the heart - intellect over emotion. Since the main theme of your story should be an emotion, no, I don't think there's a place for intellectualism. But it occurs to me that you may be using the word in a different way - do you just mean intelligence? If so, obviously, yes, it's fine to use intelligence.
    If you have read my piece here on WF, you must have found that I tend to write down some non-romantic ideas. So, my intellectualism would mean using such ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    If you have read my piece here on WF, you must have found that I tend to write down some non-romantic ideas. So, my intellectualism would mean using such ideas.
    Are you trying to write genre romance, or just stories that have a romantic element?

And I took a quick look at your short story, but the SPAG issues were too much for me - I'm a pretty picky reader. I'd say it might be best to worry about getting things correct and clear in a simpler format first, and then worry about genre expectations and non-romantic ideas.

Are you trying to write genre romance, or just stories that have a romantic element?

And I took a quick look at your short story, but the SPAG issues were too much for me - I'm a pretty picky reader. I'd say it might be best to worry about getting things correct and clear in a simpler format first, and then worry about genre expectations and non-romantic ideas.
    I must admit that I'm still not sure what genre romance is, so I'll stick to just writing, i.e. making sure my SPAG and format improve, and wait for bigger waves of inspiration...

Thanks for your assistance.

I must admit that I'm still not sure what genre romance is, so I'll stick to just writing, i.e. making sure my SPAG and format improve, and wait for bigger waves of inspiration...

This is not my usual genre, but I'll take a stab at it.

I think romance is typically person A meets person B (how is one of the variables). They are attracted to each other, usually, but don't admit it right away. Then, just to make things interesting, there's a point at which one or both suspect the other of something that's a deal-breaker for having a relationship. Then, to get to the "they all live happily ever after" ending, the truth is revealed and both confess to loving the other. Look at romance novels or romantic movies for more of an idea of the typical formula.

If you're actually interested in genre romance, read some genre romances. I can recommend authors if you want.

If you're actually interested in genre romance, read some genre romances. I can recommend authors if you want.
    Please do.

Please do.
    Some of my favourite genre romance authors are Courtney Milan, Ruby McNally, and Meredith Duran. If you're ready for m/m romance (two men) I'd strongly recommend Alexis Hall or KJ Charles or Joanna Chambers - I think they may be closer to what you're trying to do with your writing.

But those are all modern, genre romance writers, and I'm not sure you actually want to write genre romance. Have you read Jane Austen? You might want to give her a try. Alternatively... and stick with me, here... I wonder if you'd be happier with YA writing, maybe Maggie Stiefvater or one of the other more "stylized" YA writers? Most genre romance writers focus on the characterization, but I sense you're trying to focus on the language, maybe? And outside of literary fiction, I think YA is where you'll find the most creative use of language. (Often the creativity doesn't work, at least for me, but YA readers seem to be more open to experiments). And there are certainly YA romances out there!

Some of my favourite genre romance authors are Courtney Milan, Ruby McNally, and Meredith Duran. If you're ready for m/m romance (two men) I'd strongly recommend Alexis Hall or KJ Charles or Joanna Chambers - I think they may be closer to what you're trying to do with your writing.

But those are all modern, genre romance writers, and I'm not sure you actually want to write genre romance. Have you read Jane Austen? You might want to give her a try. Alternatively... and stick with me, here... I wonder if you'd be happier with YA writing, maybe Maggie Stiefvater or one of the other more "stylized" YA writers? Most genre romance writers focus on the characterization, but I sense you're trying to focus on the language, maybe? And outside of literary fiction, I think YA is where you'll find the most creative use of language. (Often the creativity doesn't work, at least for me, but YA readers seem to be more open to experiments). And there are certainly YA romances out there!
    You're right, I'd like to put the use of language in the center of my writing.

Does YA stand for young adult?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12