The Phone Call

Thread: The Phone Call

The Phone Call

The Phone Call

by Underd0g

When the wizards of telephone technology came up with conference calling, I thought... "Yessss!". My run of the mill phone pranks had become quite stale. This was before caller ID and you could make a jerk of yourself with anonymity.

The first April Fool's Day after this new phone feature was created, my brother and I were ready. Here's the scam: two people with conference calling get on the phone with each other. Each one hangs up simultaneously and makes a phone call. They then click back and wait for the two lines to connect, with the pranksters remaining silent.

My brother and I decided to call my mom and my sister just to see what would happen. As luck would have it my dad answered first with a cheerful "Hello." Now, with perfect timing, who would pick up the other phone, but my brother-in-law Eddie. He was able to hear my dad say hello and was confused that he didn't wait for him to answer first. He ignored this oddity and said his own hello.

They were familiar enough with each other's voices that there was immediate recognition. They began with a little small talk, awkward and stilted. You need to understand that in our family, men DO NOT make telephone calls. They answer calls when the womenfolk are gone or busy, but they NEVER initiate a phone conversation.

Eventually my dad asks about his daughter and what she was doing. Eddie replied that she wasn't there and he didn't know where she was. My dad was so taken aback that Eddie would call for no seeming reason that he asked if everything was alright. The only reason he could see for the call was an emergency.

At this point I couldn't take it anymore and had to disconnect. I couldn't contain my laughter and didn't want to get caught. There was a family birthday coming up on the weekend and I was anxious to see if there was going to be a discussion of this call in a few days.

Well, I didn't have to wait until the weekend to learn what happened next. This is the best I can ascertain as to the events that followed. First, my mom and dad had a their own conversation:

"Marion,I just got the strangest call from Eddie."
    "Eddie called US?"
    "I think he was fishing to see if Vivian was here."
    "How strange, is anything wrong?"
    "When I asked, he hung up on me! I think we should go over and check up on them"
    "You don't think you're overreacting?"
    "I couldn't live with myself if something happened and I had ignored my instincts."

Vivian is their only daughter and has always been my dad's little girl. Even as an adult he has always been very protective, make that over protective. He had little control over his temper, and less control over his impulses. Away they went on a 45 minute drive to my sister's house.

As they pulled up to their house the first thing they saw was my sister crying in her car in the driveway. My mom goes to her and my dad goes straight to the house. My mom comforts Vivian while my dad beats on the door. Eddie comes to the door looking very perplexed which my dad interprets as guilt and fear.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY BABY GIRL?" he yells. When my dad knocks you around, you know you've been knocked around.

In the meantime my mom learns that Vivian has been with friends at the hospital because a childhood friend had died in a car accident. Vivian didn't want to make such a personal call on a pay phone and decided to tell Eddie what had happened when she arrived at home. When she had parked, her body had let her know that she needed to grieve a little bit more.

As I hear what had happened, I realize that there are loose ends. In other words, we had played this trick on other people. Those people were eventually going to compare notes. When I have time, I'll tell you of the unintended consequences that occurred during the cover-up.
    If you look at my profile, say "Hi!" But not in a creepy way.

Good story, it brought back a lot of memories of playing around with the phone as kids. Something I guess which is now lost with today's technology.

I think this needs to be better explained or done in a different format

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY BABY GIRL?" he yells. When my dad knocks you around, you know you've been knocked around

I think i know what you meant to say but had to re-read it twice to get the gist of it. You could also just end it with that, it is good story and that could be the punch line leaving the reader to only wonder at the mess you had created, that in itself is pretty funny.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"