Self Publishing Advice Needed - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Self Publishing Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    ...and even with all the skills there is no guarantee of success.
    I think this is the hardest thing to get across. Even with traditional publishing, you have no guarantees. People think self publishing is some kind of magic road to fame and fortune, but the majority have no clue how to actually be a publisher. Most can't write, either.

Anyway...

I am looking at other ways with ideas I have to advertise and sell my book unrelated to Amazon.
    Well, good luck with that. Unless you have the chops to sell on your own, then you're sunk. You have to know how to get readers who want to buy your book, and get them to where you're selling it. It's not easy, and it's not free.

The first mistake you made was in going ahead with printing your book. That's never going to be the right path for 99.9999% of people. Again, if you have a following, people who would buy the book, then you might be able to pull if off. Even then, you get outside eyes on the work before you print. You hire an editor, especially if you know you don't have the skills to write properly, which you've admitted. You get beta readers with some interest in the topic, ask for specific feedback (where do you lose interest, where do you get confused, can I explain this point better, etc.), and then decide if the feedback is relevant.

Also, you research your genre/topic. Find other books, look at how they're written, how the covers are done, what the descriptions say or don't say.

Like it or not, for most of the world, Amazon is the top dog platform to sell our books. There are more eyes there than just about anywhere, you can easily set up ads (another thing you need to study), and they take care of the delivery, and set up your tax form for the end of the year. No on avoids the tax man.

Finding that "viral moment" for a newbie, whether through traditional publishing or indie publishing, is the biggest challenge. Once noticed, then getting repeat business is easier. It's kind of like not being able to get a loan unless you prove you don't need it.

My book was banging around on my pc for a while and inbetween time a lot of other things got written.

My experience so far with Amazon is just the same and in some cases worse than other businesses and that is to get your product to the people who may be interested is very hard.

For a start your product is severely limited in profit due to most sales being online downloads which are cheap. In which case the money available for traditional advertising is low as the profits are small and advertising expensive.

I read somewhere that most books on Amazon rarely sell more than a 100 times. I can well believe that now as your book is one small needle in a huge haystack and I think you need to explore other ways of making your book easier to be found than traditional advertising via Amazon.

So I have held back putting any of my other stuff there until I can get other methods set up to attract some interest.

First, get your book as polished as you possibly can. Writing it is only the first step - the real (and less fun) part starts next. Take notes as you edit, edit, and edit - searching for plot holes, inconsistent (or unnecessary) characters, lame descriptions, the list goes on. There are some decent books on Amazon about editing that might help - they won't make you a pro, but that's not the point - you just want to get the low hanging fruit before you spend the bucks on an editor. I use grammarly for grammar checking, but often overrule it - the free version plug in for MS Words does a decent job.

You'll also need to get your book blurb (product description) nailed down. If it isn't solid, finding anyone to look at you work is tough.

Second, now that your work is in decent shape, look for beta readers, but, as was said, be aware that they're usually amateurs. Mine fortunately is an ex-school teacher (taught English); if you can find someone similar you've struck gold. There are many Writer's Groups around, join one if you can, otherwise, as was suggested, look for beta readers here.

Beyond that, there are many on-line sites where you can get help - editors, cover designers, and a lot more. Reedsy is my favorite.

Third, once you've got a solid manuscript and cover design, self publishing isn't too difficult. I use Amazon (KDP); they give you a templet to format your book for publishing, along with guidance on the size needed for your cover. You can get an Amazon ISBN from them too. I publish both Kindle and paperback versions there.

After all that, all that's left is marketing - which I suck at, and so will shut up now.

I mostly write novels for myself and while it's sad that I can't get many readers, it's nice to get some little extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by DriftingMind View Post
    As far as books, this is the first book I've written. I was looking for local beta readers.
    Just curious. Why do you prefer local beta readers?
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unkown

Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    I have twenty-one novels, all fiction, through Amazon; sales have been very good lately, and steady on a yearly basis.
    That's impressive! Do you have a website or a blog that you are willing to share?
    - unkown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That's impressive! Do you have a website or a blog that you are willing to share?
    I found it on Amazon. Very impresive indeed!!
    - unkown

Quote Originally Posted by indianroads View Post
    Third, once you've got a solid manuscript and cover design, self publishing isn't too difficult. I use Amazon (KDP); they give you a templet to format your book for publishing, along with guidance on the size needed for your cover. You can get an Amazon ISBN from them too. I publish both Kindle and paperback versions there.
    Your covers are very striking! How did you decide on a cover designer? Did you provide the ideas to the designer? How many mockups did you look at before you approved it?
    - unkown

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Your covers are very striking! How did you decide on a cover designer? Did you provide the ideas to the designer? How many mockups did you look at before you approved it?
    Check out Reedsy.com. I found my designer on their Marketplace. They display their works there and you can contact and talk with the designer before you commit.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567