Self Publishing Advice Needed - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Self Publishing Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by DriftingMind View Post
    There were a verity of different reasons for the lack of feedback.

Ha, ha, I defiantly use slang words in the book. It's probably not for those who go into a state of shock at the sight of a misspelled word. At least not in its present state. Though, I did run it through a few different spell checks. I also edited it myself multiple times. Still, I am only one person, and like most make mistakes.

In a couple weeks I'll release the press release. That'll have info on the subject, ect.

Thanks for your reply.
    I see this as a credibility issue. How can a reader believe you are knowledgeable about the subject if there are misspellings. You need someone to read it and point out errors. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

A professional editor can be quite expensive. I understand that. But at least have someone take a look at it. Post one chapter in the Prose Workshop to get free feedback.

If you want people to pay nearly $40 for a copy of your book, it has to impress. The cover design is the first thing a person sees, and yes, people do judge a book by the cover. Hire a professional cover designer. It'll cost a couple hundred bucks, but the investment will pay off. A beta reader is an excellent idea. Starr Waddell at Quiethouse Editing can connect you with an excellent beta reader. Again, this will cost something, but again, the investment will pay off. Since your writing is not very polished, get help. Poor grammar, poor sentence structure, poor paragraph construction are huge turnoffs. Take the time and spend the money to make your book look and be as good as it can be. Aim to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry952 View Post
    If you want people to pay nearly $40 for a copy of your book, it has to impress. The cover design is the first thing a person sees, and yes, people do judge a book by the cover. Hire a professional cover designer. It'll cost a couple hundred bucks, but the investment will pay off. A beta reader is an excellent idea. Starr Waddell at Quiethouse Editing can connect you with an excellent beta reader. Again, this will cost something, but again, the investment will pay off. Since your writing is not very polished, get help. Poor grammar, poor sentence structure, poor paragraph construction are huge turnoffs. Take the time and spend the money to make your book look and be as good as it can be. Aim to impress.
    I'm not sure you are replying to the correct post? I don't think I could sleep good at night charging even close to that amount. lol Though I can say I put a lot of work and time into this book. I don't know if I'd say my writing isn't polished. The book has over 70 thousand words. I'd imagine there might be errors I missed. We're on different pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    I see this as a credibility issue. How can a reader believe you are knowledgeable about the subject if there are misspellings. You need someone to read it and point out errors. You only get one chance to make a first impression.

A professional editor can be quite expensive. I understand that. But at least have someone take a look at it. Post one chapter in the Prose Workshop to get free feedback.
    I don't see the link between spelling and knowledge on a specific subject. Regardless of spelling, in this case the subject matter shouldn't be an issue.

I don't see the link between spelling and knowledge on a specific subject. Regardless of spelling, in this case the subject matter shouldn't be an issue.
    Basic psychology. Most people believe someone who can't spell isn't intelligent. I'm not arguing for or against that, just saying you need to address it.

What's the subject matter?

And why do you think you should make this book available to folks?

Poor spelling, poor grammar, poor diction, all of these things can be a distraction that prevents a person from taking a book seriously. It's hard to hear criticism, but every writer has to put aside his/her emotional attachment to the work, realize criticism is meant to be helpful and is not a personal attack on the writer. I would be surprised if a writer found an editor or a beta reader that feels good editing is not important to the success of a book, whether fiction or nonfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry952 View Post
    Poor spelling, poor grammar, poor diction, all of these things can be a distraction that prevents a person from taking a book seriously. It's hard to hear criticism, but every writer has to put aside his/her emotional attachment to the work, realize criticism is meant to be helpful and is not a personal attack on the writer. I would be surprised if a writer found an editor or a beta reader that feels good editing is not important to the success of a book, whether fiction or nonfiction.
    I don't disagree. As mentioned, I tried everything I could think of to find additional beta readers. I don’t have the money for an actual editor. That is why I was looking for literary agents, publishers, and acquisitions-editors. I also did the best I could to prevent the types of distractions mentioned. I think it is readable.

I understand that sometimes it is difficult to take criticism. Especially, after working many years on a book. I think I'm pretty good with criticism, if given with good intentions. That doesn't mean I'll always agree with all the feedback received.

Basic psychology. Most people believe someone who can't spell isn't intelligent. I'm not arguing for or against that, just saying you need to address it.

What's the subject matter?

And why do you think you should make this book available to folks?

I'm not trying to avoid your questions. However, they are both addressed on the press release. I don't want to go into those types of details publicly yet.

I'm not trying to avoid your questions. However, they are both addressed on the press release. I don't want to go into those types of details publicly yet.
    Then post the press release in the prose workshop, which is members only.

I have some concerns that your book is not as readable as you think, and that's why no one finished reading it.

I had a similar problem with my first novel. Mine was fiction, but the point is still valid. I had a spot, about 1/3 of the way through, if I recall correctly, where everything seemed wrapped up. Beta readers just never finished the book. They enjoyed what they read, and gave personal life excuses for not finishing, but it bothered me, nevertheless. After consideration, and a little more questioning, I was able to determine the problem and address it.

People are sometimes too kind to come right out and tell you what you need to know. They value the relationship, so they avoid hurting your feelings.

The fact that no beta reader has read the whole thing is a huge red flag. I strongly encourage you to stop and get feedback here before deciding your next step. I think you'll find a couple folks are willing to critique a press release and a chapter for free.

I totally understand the financial burdens and not having money to pay for an editor. I struggle with finances, too. Just don't be in a rush. Keep looking for affordable options. As I said, posting one chapter here is free. Maybe you can get enough feedback to address issues throughout the book. It's a start, at any rate.

I hope you understand that I'm trying to be helpful.

The fact that no beta reader has read the whole thing is a huge red flag. I strongly encourage you to stop and get feedback here before deciding your next step. I think you'll find a couple folks are willing to critique a press release and a chapter for free.
    It seems like you are under the assumption that I am in the same situation as you were with your book. I'm not. The reasons beta readers only read parts of the book are not what you might think. Same with the reasons for lack of beta readers.

I don't have access to the prose section of this website, nor do I want to post any parts of the book online. I am firm about that.

The press release has been proof read by qualified individuals and additional positive feedback has been received.

I understand you are trying to help. However, I’m looking for creative ideas to get the word out about the book. I’ve already taken into consideration the things you’ve mentioned. I’ve weighed the options, and as of now, I’ve decided to go forward with publishing the book.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast