Self Publishing Advice Needed


Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Self Publishing Advice Needed

  1. #1

    Self Publishing Advice Needed

    Hello,

    In 2017 I wrote a nonfiction book. It's about 295 pages. I printed it, created a cover and bound it together. Since then, I haven't gained much traction. My original goal was to print about a hundred copies to give away and see what feedback was received.

    That didn't happen. Only a few people have read parts of it. The feedback received was decent.

    With that said, I haven't been able to find local beta readers for additional feedback. I've tried different libraries without much luck. I've also looked for literary agents, publishers, and acquisitions-editors online. I've tried looking through search engines, Linkedin and Twitter - notta. Part of the problem is that I don't want to send it via e-mail nor snail mail to different publishing companies. For another words I wanted to find a local publisher or at least one in the vicinity. I’m currently in Florida.

    At this point I'm thinking about simply releasing it myself. This is where I could use some feedback. My grammar isn’t great, but I do think it is very readable. I don't have money for marketing. I can't think of many free avenues that will work for me either. I don't have droves of twitter followers, ect. I’m not well known.

    I wrote a press release. The idea is to print a bunch of copies and leave them at different places. Plus, I figure I'll post it on my blog, twitter, ect. I'm thinking I'm gonna print and bind every book I sell. I guess that is self-publishing in every sense of the word. I believe that leaves out Amazon self-publishing (though I don't completely understand their guidelines). It also leaves out selling via amazon services as the $39.99 simply un-affordable.

    That’s where I'm at. I got a book, printer, and a press release .... As of now the plan is to create some kind of paypal checkout on my website and sell it through the website starting in July.

    Any additional ideas will be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftingMind View Post
    Hello,

    In 2017 I wrote a nonfiction book. It's about 295 pages. I printed it, created a cover and bound it together. Since then, I haven't gained much traction. My original goal was to print about a hundred copies to give away and see what feedback was received.

    That didn't happen. Only a few people have read parts of it. The feedback received was decent.

    With that said, I haven't been able to find local beta readers for additional feedback. I've tried different libraries without much luck. I've also looked for literary agents, publishers, and acquisitions-editors online. I've tried looking through search engines, Linkedin and Twitter - notta. Part of the problem is that I don't want to send it via e-mail nor snail mail to different publishing companies. For another words I wanted to find a local publisher or at least one in the vicinity. Iím currently in Florida.

    At this point I'm thinking about simply releasing it myself. This is where I could use some feedback. My grammar isnít great, but I do think it is very readable. I don't have money for marketing. I can't think of many free avenues that will work for me either. I don't have droves of twitter followers, ect. Iím not well known.

    I wrote a press release. The idea is to print a bunch of copies and leave them at different places. Plus, I figure I'll post it on my blog, twitter, ect. I'm thinking I'm gonna print and bind every book I sell. I guess that is self-publishing in every sense of the word. I believe that leaves out Amazon self-publishing (though I don't completely understand their guidelines). It also leaves out selling via amazon services as the $39.99 simply un-affordable.

    Thatís where I'm at. I got a book, printer, and a press release .... As of now the plan is to create some kind of paypal checkout on my website and sell it through the website starting in July.

    Any additional ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Why so little feedback? Only a few people and only parts?

    You mean "nada" not "notta". Have you at least run a spelling and grammar check? Nothing kills the credibility of a nonfiction book than misspelled words, run-on sentences, and typos!

    I suggest you file for a copyright, if you're concerned about someone stealing your book, then having it fully beta read. What's the subject?

  3. #3
    There is a beta section in the forum, I believe you can find beta readers there (never used it m'self.)
    I'm curious; aside from the novela, have you written much else?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    There is a beta section in the forum, I believe you can find beta readers there (never used it m'self.)
    I'm curious; aside from the novela, have you written much else?
    It's not a novella. It's nonfiction.

  5. #5
    First of all, does your book look lie it's been thru professional design and production? Was it it edited by a professional? Beta readers are nice, but they're usually amateurs (no matter how literate or educated). Often they're friends of the author or they're also authors trading readings with other writers. That's all ... well, cute, but it's more than likely going to mark your book as "amateur." Or did you use one of the templated services, like CreateSpace--they're fine for printing, but their work, like many other "bookmills," have that one size-fits-all-look.

    When you decide to self-publish, you've made a decision to go into business as a publisher--even if just one time for just one book. That means you need to make an investment--not just of sweat equity, doing it all yourself (if you're not a professional editor or book designer)--as any businessperson would make in their business. You need to have someone with a cold professional eye, objective, whose job it is to make books the best they can be, edit and design and lay out (not just "format) your book.

    And after that--actually, from the moment you begin writing your book--you should be blogging, paritcipating in forums, speaking at libraries to readers' groups, about books. Not just saying, "Buy me! Buy my book!" but engaging with potential readers who love to read. You prob'ly should engage someone who is professionally involved in promoting books, particularly self-published books.

    Good luck going forward!

    Steve Tiano
    Last edited by PiP; June 18th, 2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Contact details removed

  6. #6
    If it was me, I'd try to find beta readers who are experts on the topic of your book. If that is not possible, you can try to find groups who are made up of folks in your book's target audience. For example, my first book was about college teaching advice and I found 4 professors/retired professors to read my book manuscript and give me feedback. This feedback was very valuable and I was able to finalized my manuscript and then move on to hire a professional editor for copyediting (which I strongly recommend for your book if you can afford it).

    One idea you can consider to keep down publishing costs is to produce an eBook via KDP or a similar eBook distributor. That way you can price it whatever you want. Good luck!
    Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; June 18th, 2018 at 09:03 PM. Reason: add language
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    Why so little feedback? Only a few people and only parts?

    You mean "nada" not "notta". Have you at least run a spelling and grammar check? Nothing kills the credibility of a nonfiction book than misspelled words, run-on sentences, and typos!
    There were a variety of different reasons for the lack of feedback.

    Ha, ha, I defiantly use slang words in the book. It's probably not for those who go into a state of shock at the sight of a misspelled word. At least not in its present state. Though, I did run it through a few different spell checks. I also edited it myself multiple times. Still, I am only one person, and like most make mistakes.

    In a couple weeks I'll release the press release. That'll have info on the subject, ect.

    Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by DriftingMind; June 20th, 2018 at 12:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    There is a beta section in the forum, I believe you can find beta readers there (never used it m'self.)
    I'm curious; aside from the novela, have you written much else?
    As far as books, this is the first book I've written. I was looking for local beta readers.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_tiano View Post

    First of all, does your book look lie it's been thru professional design and production?

    I designed the cover and printed it myself. I'm ok with the way it looks. Plus, I feel like that fact separates it from other books. When someone purchases this book, it will be printed and bound personally by the author.

    Beta readers are nice, but they're usually amateurs (no matter how literate or educated).

    True, However, I feel like finding beta readers should be one of the first steps an author takes once a book is finished. I figured, if I chose the proper beta readers I'd get valuable feedback from a potential target audience.

    When you decide to self-publish, you've made a decision to go into business as a publisher--even if just one time for just one book. That means you need to make an investment--not just of sweat equity, doing it all yourself (if you're not a professional editor or book designer)--as any businessperson would make in their business. You need to have someone with a cold professional eye, objective, whose job it is to make books the best they can be, edit and design and lay out (not just "format) your book.

    Finding a professional "reputable" editor is not as easy as it seems. If you know a local editor that might work with someone in my position, I'm all ears.

    And after that--actually, from the moment you begin writing your book--you should be blogging, paritcipating in forums, speaking at libraries to readers' groups, about books. Not just saying, "Buy me! Buy my book!" but engaging with potential readers who love to read. You prob'ly should engage someone who is professionally involved in promoting books, particularly self-published books.

    Thanks for your reply. I understand many of your points. It's not my personality to say buy me, buy me. In the press release I try to describe book. Then at the end, if a potential reader thinks it might be interesting, I provide a link to the website where it can be purchased. I partly started this thread to find different savvy ways to get the word out about this book.

    I know I am in a tough situation as far as hiring an editor, ect. I've searched for people professionally involved with promoting books, without luck.

    Good luck going forward!

    Thank you.

    Steve Tiano

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq View Post
    If it was me, I'd try to find beta readers who are experts on the topic of your book. If that is not possible, you can try to find groups who are made up of folks in your book's target audience. For example, my first book was about college teaching advice and I found 4 professors/retired professors to read my book manuscript and give me feedback. This feedback was very valuable and I was able to finalized my manuscript and then move on to hire a professional editor for copyediting (which I strongly recommend for your book if you can afford it).

    One idea you can consider to keep down publishing costs is to produce an eBook via KDP or a similar eBook distributor. That way you can price it whatever you want. Good luck!
    Thanks for your reply. I think thats part of the reason I'm going forward with self publishing. I received decent feedback from those who read parts of the book. I haven't been able to find a professional to take a look at the book.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.