Almost ready to publish but what format? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayview View Post
    ISBNs are for book sellers, so if you're planning to not use book sellers, I don't see why you'd need an ISBN.

In terms of why go through a book seller instead of selling from your own site? If you're able to drive enough traffic to your own site, able to inspire readers to buy your book without the impartial reviews, etc. from Amazon, able to take payments in a way that will inspire trust from your buyers, and able to efficiently deliver the product to the buyer in a manner the buyer will find acceptable, then I agree, there's not much value in going through a retailer. Most authors have trouble with those elements of e-commerce, but if you've got it sorted out, carry on!
    Thanks Bayview.

I have looked through lots of comments regards this. Amazon is huge and grows by millions of books daily.
    Do they spend time promoting your book? Does your new book come up in searches by potential purchasers or do the popular and promoted come up?

Somebody said on here last year that most books on Amazon struggle to reach 100 sales if lucky. Is this true?

but if you've got it sorted out, carry on!
    If you do not try............you will simply never know. What have I got to lose? I would still have my books and could put them out with the zillions on Amazon at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Thanks Bayview.

I have looked through lots of comments regards this. Amazon is huge and grows by millions of books daily.
    Do they spend time promoting your book? Does your new book come up in searches by potential purchasers or do the popular and promoted come up?
    I don't think Amazon does any promotion for most books, no. But books would come up in searches, yes.

Honestly, the big advantage for Amazon for me is that it's where it's convenient for readers to buy things. I really don't like monopolies, but I'd still hesitate before entering my credit card information on some random site run by someone I don't know in order to download a book of uncertain quality that may or may not load properly onto my e-reader. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Somebody said on here last year that most books on Amazon struggle to reach 100 sales if lucky. Is this true?
    I think 100 sales is optimistic for most self-published books, whether on Amazon or elsewhere. Most books from larger publishers would be making significantly higher sales, of course.

If you do not try............you will simply never know. What have I got to lose? I would still have my books and could put them out with the zillions on Amazon at any time.
    Absolutely - it's a fun and interesting experiment!

It's true that Amazon spends zero time promoting books. But using Amazon takes away the hassle of dealing with dissatisfied customers. And people are familiar with Amazon. You may lose sales because of concerns about downloading a computer virus instead of a book. I don't think Amazon takes much of a cut, but I haven't checked recently.

One other thing to consider : you can still have your own website and do your own promoting, but have a link to your specific Amazon page for your book.

You could do both, too. Offer the book as a direct download and have a link to Amazon.

The ISBN is needed if you want your book listed in certain databases, if I recall correctly. I think there's a few threads about ISBNs that would have more info. Selling as you plan to sell, you may not need one at this time.

This sounds interesting! I wish you success!

Thanks both.

I'd never wanna sell from my own website when Amazon does a fine job of it. So do B&N and GoogleBooks. Setting up my own e-commerce site would be a hassle. Just sell thru the big sellers, 70/30% profit split. Easy-peasy.

I have used Calibre, but I prefer Wondershare's MePub ($40) or Sigil. Calibre does not do so well with GooglePlay, never seems to pass a validator...? I dunno, MePub is fast and remarkably simple. I chop the book up into chapters, export each as an html file with all formatting stripped, throw those into MePub, and make me a book.

I only use Sigil for the fancy stuff, or for books going to google. Their importer is wonky; it hates italics.

Gotta go, the simulator is booted. Gonna fly a Spitfire tonight, drink some [more] beer, and be knighted as Sir Crashalot.
    Check my twitter feed to see how I tore the engine off a virtual P51 the other day. No kidding, I broke the bloody ship!

I agree entirely with what you say regards selling via Amazon. But being as you know about the expense involved of setting up websites etc.

Where is the benefit to me or anybody selling via Amazon when you will hardly sell 100 books? If your latest brilliant latest novel is only selling for $2.99 and you are lucky to be selling your 78th book with a 70/30 split as you mention and the fact that my ISBN has cost me in the region of $100.00. Then what is the point of it all?

78 x $2.99 = $233.22 - 30% = $163.25 - $100.00 = $63.25 ..... Wow! That really encourages me to write loads more books. I would be better off just banging them on my website for free and asking donations via Paypal and Patreon.
    Last edited by Biro; June 14th, 2018 at 05:07 AM.

I used to offer my novel for free download on my own website, so there wasn't the hassle of dealing with financial transactions and client data security. Also the regulations about personal and commercial websites are different, selling or even advertising anything for sale being regarded as commercial activity. I offered three file formats, MOBI for Kindle readers, EPUB for other types and PDF for general PC use. I use Calibre and in fact I always convert all books offered to my angel and I for beta reading here into EPUB format to use on our E-readers regardless of what format the writer sends them to us as.

Documents that have had a lot of editing by word processing software get a substantial amount of unnecessary clutter left in them by each successive editing session and personally I gave up writing using a word processor at all and instead wrote my chapters directly in HTML, which is the format actually used inside EPUB files. E-readers tend to format the text to suit their readers' preferences, but word processors are substantially WYSIWYG software designed to make the text look the way that the writer prefers. There is a degree of conflict between the two then and normally all the writer is really interested in is getting their words to the reader, not laying them out in an artistic style, so HTML that leaves the formatting details to the reader's display device is ideal. In contrast the PDF format shows the text exactly as the writer intends it to be seen.

If you write using a word processor then think about any unusual text modifiers that you use and check that the conversion software handles them well enough. Also always scan through your entire book in each converted format to check that everything looks okay. I have had weird glitches, like a chapter appearing entirely in capitals for some peculiar reason, and have done some research into these. For example, it appears that multiple pasting operations can produce deeply nested block text structures in word processed files that can confuse some file converters. The text may look quite simple when displayed by the word processor but it may actually have a truly messy hidden internal structure which isn't easily removed. This is one reason why word processed files always seem far larger than the textual content actually needs.

The solution to successful format conversion isn't so much finding software that can tidy up the messy files as being careful not to create a big mess in the first place and that isn't easy with current word processors.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Thanks Rob. I know about html as I used to make websites for people but now just use Wordpress templates and making websites with Wordpress is easy....... or easy when you know how to. Same as everything else!

If you write in Word then copy/paste into Wordpress you usually have no more problems and do not come across too many redundant tags if any at all. The editor is quite forgiving that way. But your book is then displayed as a webpage and not a downloadable file as the Calibre etc turns it into.

There are in fact companies who specialize in files which are secure and can be safely downloaded by individual password. These may be possibly used for this purpose?

Is anyone going to let us know or can anyone point us to the info which tells us how many book sales are achieved on Amazon or others? I would love to see how this venture works out viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    Is anyone going to let us know or can anyone point us to the info which tells us how many book sales are achieved on Amazon or others? I would love to see how this venture works out viable.
    I think there are way too many variables to get any reliable numbers - a lot will depend on how much promo you do, etc.

But, as rough information - I do very little promo for any of my books other than what's set up by publishers. So when I self-publish, I do hardly any promo. Based on that... when I self-publish in my "home" genre, where I've established a bit of a name through working with multiple publishers, I generally sell in the thousands. Not the tens of thousands, but the thousands. Maybe 3K - 5K copies, on average? And the books are still for sale, so those numbers are slowly growing over time, obviously.

On the few occasions when I've self-published in different genres (with different, non-established pen names) I generally sell in the tens. Like, less than 100 copies. But that's with little to no promo effort on my part. There are certainly authors who do better than that.

How much time are you willing/able to dedicate to promotion? How much skill do you think you have? How much experience, how big of a network, etc. etc.?
    Last edited by Bayview; June 14th, 2018 at 04:51 PM.

How much of all that Bayview?

Well I can make professional websites........I know how to market a website and it's products through seo and google adwords............I have a very good idea on how the internet works......I have ideas..........I know human behavior when on the internet and all of this is important......I am determined and every day is a learning day for me.

What I don't know is.......How to be an author..........How to get started as one..........I have wrote and I am writing several fiction stories of between 5000 and 40,000 words. I believe they have several names for stories that length............They are excellent well written stories I am told by those who have read them some not knowing it was me...........They are also written correctly as far as I know so far.

So Bayview how did you become an unknown keyboard basher like me to a well known Author with a fan base and multi thousand book sales? Is there a secret which you would rather not share? I perfectly understand if that is the case. Knowledge is money in today's world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast