Marooned on Planet EARTH - Book One - Devynn's Dilemma - Beta Readers Request

Marooned on Planet EARTH - Book One - Devynn's Dilemma - Beta Readers Request

TITLE: Marooned on Planet EARTH – Book One – Devynn’s Dilemma

GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary

WORD COUNT: 135K

BLURB: The world of 14-year-old Devynn X’Laena Irvette Scoville has fallen apart. Her dad has left the family after a heated argument with her mother. And he’s taken his favorite son with him—7-year-old Brady. Surprisingly, Mom is allowing it. No big stink about it.

Making Devynn and the rest of her brothers wonder—would she have let them go without a fight?

Had they wanted to, that is.

Devynn blames her mom for this tragedy occurring in her lifetime. For Mom’s ability to generally find humor in a bad situation didn’t surface during this last quarrel as it had in past ones. If only she had laughed, the Scovilles would still be one big happy family!
    Still, she has Rodney. The senior who’s the classically tall, dark, and handsome, athletic type . . . with sleepy brown eyes and a smile calculated to seduce the unwary, the unwise . . . and the unwilling.

More vulnerable to his charm than before, believing he’s the one stable thing in her life, Devynn risks all to see him—even though her mom stands implacably by her strict rules concerning dating—especially someone like Rodney Jacques.

What can her mother possibly know about being a teenager in love? Anyway, she made her own choices in life, and Devynn feels she ought to have the right to make her own choices now. After all, it’s her life, right? People should just butt out of it!

However, the discovery of her mother’s diary changes everything. In fact, Mom might actually have good reason to object to her relationship with Rodney.

The secrets in her mother’s diary are destined to change more than her outlook on her present situation . . . and in ways she never imagined possible!

AUDIENCE DESCRIPTION: Aimed at girls, aged 13 and up, who enjoy reading about teens in present day situations.

EXPECTATIONS: Feedback is appreciated on pretty much all aspects of the story and the cover, including title. I'm still up in the air about title. I like it, but does it fit? Please, though, read the entire story before commenting on theme, characters' motivations, and such.

TIME FRAME: No special turnaround time. However, I do want to launch it by July if possible, August for sure . . . September if I must.

AVAILABLE FORMATS: PDF, Mobi, and Epub from a link on a private page of my website or I will email it if preferred. Panda scanned before emailing.

OTHER INFORMATION: Language is pretty clean; an occasional Hell and the like. Nothing horribly vulgar. Devynn does have a couple of bad times with Rodney and his buddies, but I don’t describe that in any graphic way. Just not my thing. All legal and military facts have been checked on reputable sites or with people who have the knowledge/experience and verified. This isn’t the usual adults are somewhere in the background tale. They are important people to the story with strengths and weaknesses as we all have.

Also, there are small children in this story and they don’t talk like little adults. I spell their “dialect” as I heard it spoken by my sons, cousins, nieces, nephews, friends kids, and kids I've listened to in malls, parking lots and wherever else I encountered them.
    Last edited by Anita M Shaw; June 22nd, 2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet Anonymous

http://NovelsByNeenah.com
    http://AnitaMShaw.com

Anita, I have a question for you
    EXPECTATIONS: Responses to questions posted on a private page, or a form . . . if I can figure out how to do one .
    Do you have certain questions you want your beta readers to pay attention to?
    What sort of questions are in your questionnaire?

Hi Darren! I haven't posted any questions yet. Really, I'm open to whatever a reader wants to tell me about it. I've revised my Expectations section above to reflect that. I just require that you read it to its end before giving feedback. Right at the moment, my biggest question is, does the title fit?

I've gotten a bit of feedback, but not on the story as a whole, which is why I'm asking people to please read the whole story first before posing questions or comments on theme, characters' motivations, feelings, and such. I hope I've done justice to all that by its end, but if not, you'll be better able to let me know it if you've read it all.

Hmmm . . . maybe readers could keep a notebook handy and write down questions or thoughts on things, and see if subsequent chapters answer those. Or maybe a little more is needed to clarify some point. I'm not looking for anyone to ask about Zech and ZJ's bad experiences in the military. They simply don't want to talk much about it. Which I felt was natural. My dad never talked about his time in Japan during/right after the war. And he didn't experience anything like these guys did - MIA, POW, torture . . . The only time he mentioned something was when my boys were small and we were at the local fair checking out a military display which included some of the weapons of WWI and II. The boys exclaimed over the bazooka, and Dad commented on having used one back then. That's it . . . Somewhere, there's a photo of him out in a field sitting beside one.

I'm pretty much leaving it up to each reader to give me their own take on things if that's okay to do. You can either PM with your thoughts here or send an email to me.

And if anyone has trouble with some of the names, PM me and I'll help you with those. I'm thinking of setting up a Meet the Characters page for this with all the relevant info.

Hope that helped a little bit!
    Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet Anonymous

http://NovelsByNeenah.com
    http://AnitaMShaw.com

Yes, Anita, thank you!
    That makes it very clear. I now know what you expect of your readers