Publisher accepting material

Publisher accepting material

Has anyone ever heard of or worked with Open: Journal of Arts & Letters?
    They handle fiction and poetry. I got an invite on twitter, but is likely just standard welcome PM that all followers get.
    Here is the link. Anybody try these guys?
    http://ojalart.com/about-us/

They are quite new, and a friend of mine works for them, is editor, writes articles and such. I have never submitted there (yet) but am considering it.

She posted on WF about it, but it wasn't received well, you can read the thread HERE

It was not well received because of the submission fee

Not clear at first glance; there's a $3 charge to enter.
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

John Lydgate

$3? Odd, unless the target is really your credit card info. Does anyone know if they're legit?

Yes, they are, and I've never understood the fuss about an entrance fee. In the poetry world that's (almost, but not entirely) standard procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren White View Post
    Yes, they are, and I've never understood the fuss about an entrance fee. In the poetry world that's (almost, but not entirely) standard procedure.

I understand charging a reading fee (to a point) when there is prize money on offer but not when a journal is charging readers and does not pay the writer. Why should writers pay to have their work published? There are lots of journals that don't charge which I promote on the WF submissions board.

Publishing Scams and Schemes by helpingwriters.com is worth reading

As an aside: I worked for a commercial website where the owner expected columnists to work for free. Fine to a point when they were only submitting a 700 word article in return for promo on social media, however, when the owner ramped up the minimum word count to 2-3000 words I resigned. He was paying content writers but not the columnists.
    Last edited by PiP; June 12th, 2018 at 10:42 PM.
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

John Lydgate

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    It was not well received because of the submission fee
    And more -- look at that thread again. The 'publication' makes a number of very questionable or spurious claims.

Drive-by sniper of the feckless
    Test Patterns -- still available!
    Volume 2 -- Creature Features coming 2018!
    I cover the Chicago Cubs daily. Read all about it!

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx