Ralph's Rant - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: Ralph's Rant

Yep, I hate going to many of these forums. Tis why I need to find better ways to market my books (without spending a fortune.)
    I am open to suggestions.

But on that vein, I just checked to see how my free book promo is going, and it has 632 downloads...and it started yesterday.
    So based on my half-life theory I should have 300 people read Season 2, and 150 read Calizona 3.5.
    Theoretically... [crosses fingers, toes & testicles]

Note: The final tally for the book giveaway was 970. Didn't quite make a grand.
    Last edited by Ralph Rotten; August 28th, 2018 at 01:41 PM.

Yep it is not normally a book I would pick up. Reading this thread and others it looked intriguing and seeing as I could afford the price tag decided to give it a go.

I am one of those weird people that will read the entire series if I like the first book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Yep, I hate going to many of these forums. Tis why I need to find better ways to market my books (without spending a fortune.)
    I am open to suggestions.

But on that vein, I just checked to see how my free book promo is going, and it has 632 downloads...and it started yesterday.
    So based on my half-life theory I should have 300 people read Season 2, and 150 read Calizona 3.5.
    Theoretically... [crosses fingers, toes & testicles]
    I'll have a think. Usually I do stunts like artwork contests and funding drives that offer the books as an incentive. That last also works to test the market. Twice now it's been 80% (averaged between the two) of the total sales, which is cool. Everyone gets paid that way. I'm gearing up for a third and fourth, novels this round, so I'll have a larger sample size more relevant to this discussion.
    Do you do book trailers? I've found them effective...at least reasonably so. People share video easily and those things really get around if they're good. It's going to depend on your target audience, as well. Doomsday preppers aren't likely to be Twilight Zone fans, so any data I have isn't a direct reflection, but more of a funhouse mirror for you. I'm sure there are congruencies somewhere, though.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I have thought about trailers but am not currently rigged for them.
    I have seen a few trailers and about half looked homemade.

The book giveaway has been crazy good so far. Twas up to over 800 last night.
    Hopefully they all read it. Helps that that book had 60+ reviews and a 4.5 rating.
    At minimum it'll help sell a few more copies of Season 2.
    But I won't see those results start for a week or so since the first book is 255,000 words (it's a binge-book.)
    People love to binge on netflix, so I figured they might like books they could binge on too.

Okay, today I need to dispel a myth common among new writers.
    When people publish their first book they always think that if they do everything right that the book sales will continue to climb, higher and higher (leftmost image)
    But that is not how it happens.
    Books have a sales arc; they climb to an apex, then descend to a trickle.
    And before anyone says: "But Rowling..." or "But Stephen King..."
    Even Rowling, King & Patterson's books face the arc.
    The difference is that their arc is much, much bigger than yours.

This is why a book launch is so critical.
    Always put your book on pre-sale for 90 days, and use that time to market the hell out of your book.
    If you wait until release day to start your marketing, then you will have a small arc.
    You have got to have your shite together well before release day.
    Schedule a day off from work on release day so you can deal with unforeseen problems.
    Proof your book ad nauseum, then proof it again.
    Make sure your cover is perfect, make sure your book blurb passes the big-announcer-voice test.
    And shamelessly self-promote that book (to people besides your family...they are prolly tired of hearing your rants.)
    By the time your arc is descending, you should be working on a new book.
    Don't pin all your hopes & dreams to that one book. Move on, write more.

Today I clicked on the final SUBMIT button for Calizona 3.5 (the eBook version).
    So at this point the book is on autopilot until the 5th.
    Just FYI; this thread will end on Sep 5th when the book releases.

But here is something for those of you wondering about the differences between Amazon's 35% plan & the 70% plan.
    Sure, you get some free stuff in the 35% plan (like no download fees for fat books).
    Y'know, I think this image explains it all.
    Keep in mind that this was an eBook that was 6.3mb in size (before they add the cover) so it is of interest to note that the conversion to a mobi file (Kindle's eBook format) shaved 2mb off the file size.

Okay, the book releases tomorrow...
    Actually the print books released yesterday. I clicked the publish button, expecting the usual 2-3 day delay before CreateSpace published them...and much to my surprise they were instantly posted online.
    So you can buy the print versions of Calizona Act 3 & Calizona Book 4 right now on Amazon, but the eBook version (Calizona 3.5) is still on pre-order until tomorrow.

So I have today & tomorrow off for the book launch.
    Things I have been doing:
    -Updated the Ralph Rotten profile on Facebook, and added a Ralph Rotten Page. I am still researching to see if I can delete the profile without effecting the page (I only just learned that there was even a difference.)
    -Increasing marketing on Facebook, twitter, and other social media and forums.
    -I am also tweeting out about writingforums, as well as Indies United (where my NEXT book will be sold.)
    -Checking sales: my free book giveaway got the first book of the series into the hands of almost 1000 readers, and already I am picking up reviews on the first 2 books again, and pre-sales on the new book went up slightly...
    -Checking KDP results: I have people reading about 2000 pages a day of my books since I placed the first 2 books in KDP (the new books will not go KDP for a while.)
    -Googling my content: This is something all writers should do from time to time. You would be surprised some of the places your books will show up. One time I discovered my book had been panned on lousybookcovers.com.
    -Fine-tuning my profile on Amazon & Goodreads. Surprisingly there are still a lotta people who use Goodreads.
    -Reviewing other author's books. We live on a spherical planet, so what goes around...

So for those of you new to writing, or thinking of becoming an Indie writer, this thread was written to show just how much work occurs AFTER you write a book.
    If anything, this should be a cautionary tale because even if you do all these things, the book could still flop like a fish.
    The book industry is klazy right now, in a state of flux as millions of self-pub books flood the market.
    Every new book is like a drop in the ocean, so if you are gonna write a book, then swing for the bleachers.
    Avoid the safe story, avoid creating inoffensive characters. Write that book like you don't give a damn who reads it.
    And when you are done, roll up your sleeves and prepare for the real work of Indie publishing.

Thank you for a very informative and entertaining blog (that's how I read it). I keep the link in my favorites because I've learned a lot.
    Good luck with your book

Good luck with the new edition. I downloaded the first one but it’s currently on ice as th least edits of The Devil’s Hairball are in full ahead mode.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910